17 July 2012

Housekeeping.

Some time ago, I removed word verification from commenting for the blog. I'd seen people on the Twitters bitching about it, so I thought, "Hey -- I'll do what I can to help you out."

Since then, I've been getting ASSLOADS of spam comments. Yesterday, I deleted nearly 700 of them. SEVEN HUNDRED! As far as I know, they weren't showing up on the blog. I get e-mail notifications, however. The vast majority of my e-mail over the past several weeks (or few months, I really cannot remember) has been notifications of spam comments from Anonymous.

I had a dilemma -- put the Word verification back? Allow commenting only for registered users? Leave it as is? Well, the last one wasn't gonna happen. And as much as I sometimes enjoy the "words" that pop up, I know word verification is a pain in the ass. So, I'm opting for only allowing comments from registered users. I've completely ignored any and all anonymous comments for a while now, anyway. I just assume they're all spam. (Oddly, the spam comments tend to be on just a handful of posts -- all of them old).

Sorry Barbara. You're going to have to get some sort of ID. Sorry anonymous people who want to talk shit to me in the comments. You'll have to ... make up fake accounts or something. Though, that really seems like entirely too much work.

Then again, comments have been few and far between for quite some time now. I assume much of the blame for that is squarely on my non-blogging/only-blogging-to-complain-about-work shoulders. I'm really going to try to do better. I'm hoping if I get my life back, I'll have stuff to write about.

(I fully realize I could have left things as-is and continued to delete all the spam comment e-mail notifications. But getting e-mail that's for me makes me happy. Sure, it could be a sale notification or something like that, but it might be an e-mail from a friend. When I know the chances of that are slim to none, that it will almost certainly be a notification of a spam blog comment, it just makes me fucking sad. I could have turned off e-mail notification of comments, too, of course. I'd never know if there were comments, then, though. I'd show up to respond six months late. You don't want that. I don't want that. So, here we are.)

No comments: