09 May 2012

Today, I am proud of my president.

I'm not sure I've ever said that. Or even felt it. Don't get me wrong -- I love me some Bill Clinton. LOVE. HIM. I just don't remember a single defining moment in his presidency that made me say, "I'm proud of my president."

As you all surely must be aware, today, President Obama said he thinks same-sex marriages should be legal.

Fuck. And. Yes.

Honestly, after I heard the news, I spent most of the afternoon trying to keep from bursting into tears. They were tears of joy, of course. They were tears of relief and exhaustion, too. That could really be some stress creeping in there, but it all felt really genuine.

The Boy I Currently Like said someone (maybe Rachel Maddow's producer?) said it was an even bigger deal than people think it is. That's true. Everyone knows this has pissed the right off something fierce. But the President is taking a pretty significant risk by taking a position that could alienate a lot of people who were nearly certain votes for him. Homosexuality isn't exactly embraced in communities of color. Obama could lose some Black voters because of publicly stating his stance. You know who else is very much against marriage equality? Catholics. You know what population is predominately Catholic? Latinos.

So, yes, this is very much a big deal; possibly a much bigger deal than many people realize.

Of course, it didn't take very long for me to start reading things on Facebook and Twitter like, "What took so long?", "Can we start just calling it 'married' now?" and "Why isn't he doing more?"

I get it -- I felt the same way after the passage of the health care reform act. I also agree wholeheartedly. But this is HUGE. Social change doesn't happen overnight. We can't go from zero to marriage equality in the course of an afternoon. It takes small, incremental change and a lot of hard work to get there. Today, for the first time, I actually feel like maybe we will get there. And that's amazing.

1 comment:

Gia said...

Fuck yes! Is EXACTLY how I felt too, lady.