30 January 2012

New year, same shit.

So much for things getting better at work. As if losing my favorite client (however temporarily) and finding out Chicken Little would eventually be my boss weren't bad enough, I came in today to find out my minimum billable hours goal for this year was increasing by 10 percent.

Until now, I was expected to spend 75 percent of my time on billable work. I've pretty much always exceeded that goal, mostly because I had no fucking choice. Last week, the boss sent out our totals from last year and I was at 113 percent of my goal, which apparently meant I spent 85 percent of my time last year working on billable stuff.

So, wouldn't you know it, my billable goal for this year is 85 percent. First of all, thanks for telling us that at the end of the fucking month. This month was not going to look good regardless, but it's absolutely going to look worse now.

Maybe it doesn't seem so unreasonable a goal, since I met it last year without trying. But long-time readers of this blog will recall me bitching over the course of 2011 (and 2010 ... probably a good chunk of 2009) about how I had to work a lot of nights, weekends, holidays and vacation days. That's how I got to 85 percent of my time being billable.

Things were supposed to get better this year, what with the new staff and everything. I don't see how that's going to happen, though, if I'm going to have to have nearly all of my time billed to clients.

Today was not a good day. I fully intend to bring this up at my review, but that won't fucking do anything. I'm pretty deep into the despair right now. Knowing there's another year out there where I'll be working all that non-work time just makes me want to weep. It's not like I'm doing important work or helping anyone. I work for a fucking corporation that works for other corporations. I hate myself for it often.

And you better believe I'm not going to get a big raise or big bonus for all the extra time I've put in and all the sacrifices I've made.

Fuck.

I'd better go. I need to get my resume updated. I've got an application that needs to get out tomorrow.

No comments: