30 December 2011

Top albums of 2011.

Whew. I'm getting this done in just the nick of time. I feel like this year I'm really slacking in terms of music I've discovered or even listened to this year. In years past, I've had a considerable list of honorable mentions. This year? Just one. And that's because when I was filling out my ballot for The Current, I somehow forgot Wilco.

I couldn't even tell you how many shows I've seen this year. There are three I remember off the top of my head and none of them rocked my world. This is what getting old is all about, isn't it? Damn.

Despite my lack of interest in music this year (I hope that's not really it ... maybe just a shitty year for music?), I've seen several "best of" lists and flew into a rage at the sight of Tuneyards (I refuse to use the precious random caps). Dear sweet Jesus, I fucking hate them? her? whatever? so fucking much. It's just awful, awful "music."

At least Bon Iver was farther down on many top albums of 2011 lists. I swear there is more music I hate this year, than music I like. So begins my descent into crotchety old womanhood.

So, in no particular order, here are my top albums of 2011. Noel Gallagher was my absolute favorite, I think. I fell in love with that bad boy on first listen.

Ryan Adams: Ashes and Fire
The Black Keys: El Camino
The Dears: Degeneration Street
Deerhunter: Halcyon Digest
Elbow: Build a Rocket Boys!
Feist: Metals
Noel Gallagher: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
The Roots: Undun
Wye Oak: Civilian
Wilco: The Whole Love

Honorable mention: Mogwai: Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will

2 comments:

Gia said...

Hmmm. I can honestly say I haven't heard of any of those. Yikes, I'm bad at music. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year !!

barbara