10 November 2011

It's the out I've been looking for.

So, I already told you about my singing gig that's coming up on Saturday. I'm kind of dreading it, but I'm sure it'll end up being fun. A couple of my friends are coming.

More importantly, my mom will be happy. I'm also going to the church ladies' bazaar with her (huh?) and then actual shopping at the mall after that (buh?). Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm doing it. I think it's mostly because, while I would love to spend a weekend that I won't be seeing The Boy I Currently Like having a shitload of ME TIME, it's a great opportunity to do some shit to make my mom happy, so maybe she'll get off my back for a while about doing stuff like this.

I'm also doing it for BB, who did so much for me for so many years while I was in school. And again, I'm sure it will be fun after I've sampled some of what the winery has to offer.

There's been an unexpected bonus to all of this, though. When my mom mentioned it while the entire family was together, my sister piped up right away and said, "Well, I won't be there." My brother and sister-in-law, however, go home all the goddamn time. I figured there was a good chance they'd show up. We had dinner on Tuesday for my sister's birthday, though, and they didn't say a peep about it. No, "Well, we'll see you on Saturday," or anything like that.

This means, I'm off the fucking hook. I don't ever have to feel obligated to go to any of their stuff ever again. How often do I do shit like this? Um, once every five years or so? They came to that one, I think. But I didn't ask them to come. And quite frankly, I don't care if they are in attendance. In fact, I'm kind of glad they won't be there. But in the years since they last saw me sing, I've seen my sister sing at least twice and went to watch my brother in the marathon twice. I went to my sister-in-law's confirmation and I DID ALL OF THEIR WEDDING SHIT.

So, I won't be going to any of their stuff ... ever? At the very least, it will be several years. That's pretty exciting for me.

No comments: