14 November 2011

Hoarder or savvy consumer?

The 'rents want to get me a chest freezer. See, my apartment is small and I have small kitchen appliances. I have the small oven/range, the size of something like this.

My refrigerator/freezer is on the small side, too. I can't get a gallon of milk in there, unless I put it on its side, and that usually leads to leakage. Boo.

I just don't think there is a place in my kitchen where I could put even a small freezer. That's due, at least in part, to my outlet placement/lack of outlets, as well.

However, I could almost certainly fit a small freezer into a corner in my living room, or behind my bedroom door.

The problem? It feels tacky. I think it might make me feel like a hoarder. At the same time, though, I would have a place to put my meat and vegetable odds and ends until I had enough to make stock. I could store my homemade stock. I could do more large-batch cooking and freeze more portions for later (I often end up throwing out stuff that could be frozen for eating later because my freezer barely closes as it is). I could make better use of sale items and my CSA box.

I know I'm not going to live here forever. I also know there's something to be said for making the most of the space you have. I just don't know what I should do. What do you think, readers?

If I don't go with the freezer, I've suggested this as another option. And I've coveted one of those bad boys for many years. I'd contemplate marriage to get one, but this would be a good way to get one without having to get hitched. Except ... I'd have trouble trying to find somewhere to store it.

7 comments:

Cosmos said...

I had a stove that size for 17 years but I was lucky enough to have full size refrigerator!

I got a small freezer and I love it! Of course I have a traditional type spot for it.

I think it's totally worth it to get a freezer even if it has to go in an odd place. You can take advantage of sales, and all the things you mentioned in your post.

I don't think it will look trashy to have it in your living room or bedroom, for years that's how real people lived. Then HGTV came along and convinced us everyone lived in magazine worthy homes.

Anonymous said...

i agree totally with Cosmos. get the small freezer !

barbara

Kate G. said...

I'm in full support of the chest freezer! Living in SF, where real estate is crazy expensive and people cram into the tiniest spaces, I've seen some unusual (and valid!) storage solutions. In two of the four apartments I've lived in here, the fridge has been located in a small room beside the kitchen, not in the kitchen proper. Not typical (especially where I'm from (MN)), but it works with the spaces out here.

Anyway, if people hate on your awesome freezer, they don't deserve you as a friend!

Jess said...

Thanks for the input, y'all! The Boy I Currently Like also thinks it is a good idea.

I still feel a little weird about it, but I stopped to think for a few minutes about how many times I think or say, "If only I had room in my freezer," or "If only I had a bigger freezer." I say it all the goddamn time.

This will probably be a good decision in the long run. And I'll have this bad boy for the long run, too. So there you go.

Raquel said...

Ohh I was going for the dutch oven, swoon I am in love with that thing, wanted one for years. But I suppose in the long run the freezer makes more sense. Plus throw a scrap of fabric over it and call it a bar for parties.

Little Miss Sarcastic said...

I recently purchased a small upright freezer,about the same size as a bar fridge. It's amazing how much food will fit in one. They're a great investment.

Jess said...

Thanks for the additional feedback!

Raquel, I should note that I don't even need the Le Creuset Dutch oven. I have a perfectly fine (great, in fact) regular cast iron Dutch oven. I use it pretty frequently, too. And it only cost like $50.

I'm more and more convinced I've made the right choice. And I'm weird anyway. This will just add to my mystique?