27 October 2011

Pretty.

I have been wearing lipstick every day this week since Tuesday. Okay, so that's a whopping three days. However, I don't know if I've ever worn lipstick three consecutive days. If I have, it certainly hasn't been for a full day.

For years, I've been searching for a lip color that looks good on me; that looks good to me. I have a weird thing about lip color. I tend to think my lips look too thin or the color is way too bright or wearing lip color makes the rest of my face look greasy (I swear, it does).

I've been looking for a lipstick shade that is close to my natural lip color for years, but nothing has worked. HOWEVER! Monday, I went to MAC with Urbanwanderlust and the lass who was helping us showed me Modesty. It's lighter than I would have thought would have worked, but once its on with some lip liner, it works. It's barely different than my natural lip color, so it's not a huge difference from wearing nothing but lip balm. And yet, it is hugely different. It just feels like my makeup look is more polished, more finished.

This is a really exciting development for me. I figure I can get used to wearing the neutral shade and then work my way up to wearing something a bit more bold. I can't believe it took me all these years to figure this shit out. Or just to finally buckle down and do it.

But wait! There is another MAC product I must highly recommend. Well, first, let me say that I was never a believer in primers until after I took my first class at the Beauty Lounge. Truth be told, I wasn't even a firm believer the entire time I was using the Stila One-Step Color Correct primer. Once I ran out, though? Holy shit. It totally makes a difference (note: I've used some shitty primers, too -- Smashbox Photo Finish and Too Faced were TERRIBLE for me).

While I thought the Stila primer was great, I had no idea what great was until I tried MAC's Prime + Face Protect. Holy shit. It is AMAZING. For me. Your experience may be totally different, because I know like, a billion people love the Smashbox primer. I thought I was one of those people who was the freak and nothing worked for her. To find something that neither exacerbates my facial oil production nor dries my skin out nor makes me break out, yet also makes my makeup stay on longer and makes my skin generally look better? I have hit the jackpot, y'all.

The best part about all of this is that I've felt ... well, maybe not pretty, but definitely not ugly. For a few days in a row now. I really don't know how much more I can ask for at this point.

3 comments:

angelsroy33 said...

Bright colors, and red lipsticks I will never like, and probably will never wear,-EVER. (To each his own.) I think the color you are talking about is probably perfect for everyday and for when you dress up to go out. I've worn red lipstick ONCE in my life, and I was told it looked great, but to me, I looked hard, and made my lips look thin,(and I don't have thin lips either.) All this is just my opinion tho, but I still say stick with the color you like NOW.

Jess said...

My lips aren't exactly full, but I really do think they look thinner with bright lipstick. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

I'm still gonna try to work my way up to something bold, but maybe not crazy bold.

bathtub reglaze said...

I guess that females are never satisfied by their looks.They are constantly in the process of changing their looks.I suggest you should groom your personality and try to be contented with what you have.