09 October 2011

Indian Summer.

It's October 9 and I broke down this afternoon and turned on the air conditioning. I had to. It was 80 degrees in here and I had cooking and dishes to do tonight. As it was, I was a sweaty mess when I finally finished up.

Sure, it's ridiculous to turn on the air conditioning for probably just one day, but hey -- it's just one day. That will cost me barely anything. And what choice do I have when it's been in the 80s and close to 90 a couple times for nearly a week?

There are a couple of good things about this unseasonable warmth. First, I've gotten to spend time on the deck. I felt cheated much of this summer. It was cold and gross for most of the spring, and then it got ridiculously hot. Plus, all that rain meant billions of mosquitoes. I feel a little bit like I've been making up for lost time.

Secondly, I'm hoping the extra nice weather makes me really appreciate fall. It's supposed to be in the 50s all next week, and I think I'll appreciate that.

Hopefully, soaking up all this extra sun and warmth will make January (and the rest of winter) bearable. Or less hateful, at the very least.

No comments: