13 July 2011

You can't have nice things unless you're married.

That's the message here, right? I know they're expensive, but we women can work now, and earn money to buy things. I'm fairly certain that KitchenAid stand mixers are sold off bridal registries.

Actually, I'm 100 percent positive that you can buy a KitchenAid stand mixer for anyone. My parents gave me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. SCANDALOUS. Urbanwanderlust got her mixer, Stella, as a birthday gift. After she was married. Crazy, right?

I asked for one for Christmas because I'm probably not going to get married. Why should I not have a KitchenAid stand mixer simply because I'm not going to get married? It's fucking ridiculous. One of these days, I'll probably buy myself a piece of Le Creuset cookware. It's decadent, sure. But why not? I cook a lot. I use my kitchen stuff all the time. Also, they last forever. Yeah, I won't have any kids to bequeath it to, but I have a nephew and a goddaughter and more of those on the way, I'm sure.

The other thing about that story that made me absolutely fucking insane was that people -- women, really, as the story is all about brides -- would put a KitchenAid stand mixer on their registry even though they don't really intend to use it. Fuck you, assholes. You can go straight to hell.

Yeah, I'm a bitter spinster who loves to bake. What are you gonna do about it?

5 comments:

Sheri said...

Amen!! 35, single, and picked my kitchenaid out of a catalog for my prize at work. My married BFF was jealous and told me that was one of those "marriage" gifts.

Stacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacey said...

Haha, I totally agree. I also love how they tack on the paragraph at the end about the woman who bought one EVEN though she was single and lo and behold . . . she gets engaged within the year!

Anonymous said...

Got mine for Xmas, from my parents, after I was married (for the second time). Who the hell spends that kind of money on a wedding gift? And for something they aren't going to use? Blasphemy!!! I love Old Yeller, and might be buried with her.

Anonymous said...

Not sure why my system marked me anonymous .....