24 July 2011

Where did this day go?

I was up at like, 9:15 and home from the gym by ... oh, I'm not sure ... 1:30ish? Yeah, right around there. However, I'm not entirely sure where the intervening eight or so hours have gone.

Let's see ... I watched Bert Blyleven get inducted into the baseball hall of fame. I did my laundry (though, now that I think about it, my gym clothes/socks/undies are still waiting to be folded and my pillowcases are sitting in a pile on my bed as well), watched the Twins lose and I just finished dishes after cooking up some chicken breasts and making mashed potatoes and cauliflower.

Oh, mashed cauliflower. Where have you been all my life? I've been meaning to make it for at least two years. However, I so love oven-roasted cauliflower that I was never tempted to try it. Until tonight. I mixed in some purple and regular fingerling potatoes I bought at the Uptown Market today (I just missed out on tomatoes ... if I'd just bought the first few I'd seen instead of walking another block to see if there were any that looked better ... fuck) and holy damn. Amazing. It's just like mashed potatoes, but better, because there's that sharpish cauliflower flavor in there. I know I've said I love oven-roasted cauliflower, but there's a new fave in town.

Speaking of the Uptown Market, I was totally stoked to see that it was longer than a block today. AND the Hola Arepa truck was there. I've been dying to try an arepa and their cucumber lemonade. However, I waited in line for at least 10 minutes and didn't move at all. I was hot, sweaty, tired, hungry and not wearing sunscreen. So I went home, totally disappointed (and as I recently learned, sunburned, because I burn in 15 minutes without sunscreen). Maybe in two weeks, when I'm around again on Sunday?

The rest of my day was spent engrossed in A Clash of Kings, the second in the George R.R. Martin series A Song of Ice and Fire. At the rate I'm going, I'll have all the books done months before the second season of Game of Thrones starts in the spring.

Speaking of my reading, I must be getting back to it. I doubt I'll have much time for it this week, so I want to get as much in as I can.

No comments: