22 May 2011

Disgusting.

I know there are a number of contributing factors, but I am absolutely devastated by this news: same-sex marriage ban amendment passes the House.

Tonight I'll try to get all of my tears out, because the fight starts tomorrow. And it will rage on until November 2012.

How did this happen? How did Minnesota, this bastion of progressiveness, come to the point where we're going to vote to write bigotry into our state constitution? Let me remind you: it's already illegal for people of the same sex to marry in Minnesota. The reasoning behind this constitutional amendment? The current crop of GOP legislators don't want subsequent lawmakers or "activist judges" to overturn that law.

I've seen lots of "let the people vote," bullshit and "this is how the system works," nonsense. You morons realize that the legislature and court system are part of the system, right? And letting the people vote? I can't even begin to address that ridiculousness. First, we elected you to do this shit. Don't fucking cop out now, you motherfucking douchebags. Second, who knows where we'd be if bigots were allowed to vote on their bigotry for the last 50-60 years or so? For fuck's sake, almost half of Republicans in Mississippi think interracial marriage should be illegal. IT'S 2011 FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

There's little solace tonight in knowing these cowardly assholes will be judged to be on the wrong side of history. But it's all I've got, so I'll hold on to that.

3 comments:

Mr.B said...

SO the system is good when it does what you want, and is bad when it does something that you find repugnant?

Double standard there, hmmm?

(and BTW, I actually agree with you that this is wrong).

J. said...

Thought you might like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8-QQ2YN8Qk


what concerns me is that we don't even have the right kind of conversations with respect to same-sex marriage. Conversations about how marriage has been established as a basic civil right.

http://atheism.about.com/od/courtdecisions/a/LovingVirginia.htm

Jess said...

Thanks for that. I'd read about it, but had yet to see Rep. Kelly's statement.

I keep going back and forth on how to talk to people about this. I do believe the people opposed to marriage equality are bigots. But I don't like framing the issue in such a negative light.

People can say all day that the definition of marriage has always been one man, one woman. Except that's not true, as the Loving v. Virginia decision highlights. Also, fun fact: once upon a time, women were considered property in a marriage.

I am glad I've not heard so much about the "sanctity" of marriage lately. Because the government can't sanctify shit. That's all on religion. And religion has no place in this debate.

Man, it's going to be a long 18 months.