15 March 2011

Shocking news.

I wish it was shocking. Looks like I'm going to have to work during at least some of my basketball vacation. Mother. Fucking. Cocksuckers.

This is my one real vacation. At least, I consider it as much. I've been taking the first two days of the tournament off eight or nine years now. When I was in college, it was easy -- it was Spring Break. My early years of working I probably didn't have the vacation time or thought it was silly. But at some point, I decided it was important to me.

What I want to do for four days is watch basketball. And drink. I'm totally okay doing those things alone or with others. Usually, it's some sort of combination of the two. Of course, something always comes up to fuck things up -- work, people scheduling events, family obligations. This year is no different. I've got a little bit of everything. I'll be lucky if I get one day of basketball goodness.

But it's okay. You see, what's important to me isn't really important, because other people don't get it. It isn't important to them, so it can't possibly be valid. That's why I've spent the Final Four in church last year. Never mind that I've had this on my calendar since October (not that I need to put it on my calendar -- I know when it is). If I try to get out of something by saying I have plans, it won't fly.

So why not fucking work?

4 comments:

Mule Breath said...

Basketball isn't my schtick, but I'm good with the drinking. What have you got on tap?

Jess said...

I have a ton of booze here, much of it leftover from my recent parties. If I want beer, I have Summit Extra Pale Ale. There's a lot of red wine (but never enough), a box of white, more beer I won't drink, two kinds of bourbon, whiskey, two kinds of gin and vodka. I definitely see a Bloody Mary in my weekend.

Bill From Gainesville said...

The bouncy ball is just not my thing, but I totally appreciate how it is for others. I have Lots of friends who take Tomorrow and Friday Off and have for years and totally get that. Feel for you with all the bullshit of people not getting it...Also I will watch Florida till they are eliminated and then I will watch the championship game as well. Be awesome if Florida is in it.

Jess said...

I think I have the Gators almost in the Final Four. Wait, no -- I have them in the Final Four. I don't feel good about that, but what's done is done.