14 February 2011

Thanks, suckers.

Because of everyone celebrating Valentine's Day, I was able to leave work and renew my driver's license, go to Target, work out and go to Trader Joe's and get home slightly earlier than I would have on a normal Monday night. Fuck and yes!

I'm quite lucky to have found a Boy I Currently Like who detests Valentine's Day as much as I do. Though, I was mildly concerned to find out we may have started celebrating V-D when I got to his house on Saturday. He had a surprise for me, that was either an early birthday present or an early Valentine's present.

He mentioned the latter because on Tuesday, he received a box of fancy chocolates from me. Except, he got them nearly a full week before V-D. Quite frankly, I was a little pissed that we'd a) apparently started celebrating Valentine's and b) I accidentally contributed to it. It made me feel gross. But after some consideration, I figured, hey -- it's not the worst thing in the world.

Then I got onto Facebook this morning and read things that made me want to retch -- especially what my brother wrote on SILTB's wall. Look, it's fine that you want to celebrate your love. Just keep it to yourself, for fuck's sake.

So, then I felt better about sending chocolates to The Boy just because I wanted to make him smile. Had I wanted them to be a Valentine's gift, or had I wanted to get him to give me a Valentine's gift, I would have been far more calculating about when I ordered the chocolates. I randomly get him these chocolates once a year or so, and I therefore know how long it takes from my ordering them to him getting them.

This entire rant goes out the window, too, when I admit I bought a $1 box of puppy and kitty valentines at Target tonight. However, I intend to give these to The Boy all year long, so as to show my affection. Though, I doubt they'll last until next year. I suppose I could get bored with giving him pictures of puppies and kittens, but I've been doing that for a long time already ...

Another thing that made me happy today (in a schadenfreude kind of way) was to hear someone fall on the icy sidewalk right outside my bathroom window while I was getting ready to take a shower this evening. Maybe something will get done about it and I won't have to walk past the building next door, through their parking lot and then back around to the back of our building to take out the trash or do the laundry. But then again, it's hard not to have that shit happen when it is close to 40 during the day and then freezes at night. Oh well.

Of course, I'm remembering my Grandma today. She was killed in a car accident 14 years ago today. This is the first year I've not spent the week prior to today in a horrible, weepy funk. Time does indeed make hurt less hurty.

No comments: