23 January 2011

This week will be better. I can feel it in my bones.

I figure if I keep telling myself that, it will be true. My week was still shitty through yesterday. It really seems unfair that a shitty week doesn't stop at the end of the work day on Friday. It just ain't right.

Yesterday wasn't a total wash. Things started looking up when I got to The Boy I Currently Like's house. We had some dinner, watched the Gophers beat Michigan in Ann Arbor (okay, we listened to the last five minutes or so) and then headed back to Minneapolis for an engagement party for Sweetness and Mike. I'm so excited for them. I'm also thrilled that The Boy went with me. He's now met all of my friends from that group. It took a long-ass time, but at least they know he's real now.

One of the best things about the engagement party is that there were two dogs at the house -- an Irish Setter and a Black Lab. Oh my God. I was in love. Quite honestly, I wish I'd been able to just hide somewhere and pet the dogs for a half hour or so. It was not to be, though. They were a little spazzy with so many people around. Also, I totally was not laughing while watching the Irish Setter steal cheese from the cheese plate.

The Boy and I stayed up way too late, but I honestly have no idea when we went to bed. We were getting there, and then we tuned into the Australian Open and caught the women's match between Francesca Schiavone and Svetlana Kuznetzova, which just happens to have been the longest women's major match in the open era. I think we came in with the score some where around 11-11 in the third set. It was pretty cool to see. I was definitely pulling for Schiavone toward the end. Maybe I just wanted to go to bed, but I did get a touch of the chills when it was finally over.

So now it's Sunday. My laundry is done (though, I have to make my bed and fold my clothes). My bum is healing. Most of the swelling is down, save for the Impact Zone. The bruising has spread like crazy, though. It's horrible; so horrible, in fact, that I made The Boy leave the room before I would take off my jeans to go to bed. I didn't want him to see it. I just couldn't deal with whatever his reaction might have been. It's going to be ages before I change at the gym, too.

But it is healing. That's what is important. I was also inspired to cook something for lunch this week. Last week, I couldn't think of a damn thing, so I ended up eating sandwiches all week. Granted, they were awfully tasty sandwiches. However, I think there's something really centering about my Sunday night cooking. It signals the end of the weekend and gets me in the mindset for work the following day. Or something. Tonight, I have a big ol' pot of chicken tortilla soup on the stove. It looks fantastic and I can't wait to have it for lunch tomorrow. I'd love to try it tonight, but I'm a firm believer in letting a soup or chili or sloppy joes (or ... well, many, many things) sit in the fridge overnight before reheating and eating it. Just tastes better.

While work seems like it might be a bit much this week, I managed to get a bit of it out of the way tonight so I could leave on time tomorrow. KayGee and I are going to see the Timberwolves take on the Houston Rockets. I'm totally stoked. We got $40 lower level tickets for $25. YAY! The deal was for the Wednesday game against the Thunder, too. I really wanted to go to that game, but it turns out KayGee couldn't go to that one. The Gophers play that night, as well. So it's all for the best that we're going tomorrow. Plus, I can totally heckle Shane Battier. I HATE HIM SO MUCH.

The work on my street is done and it's supposed to be in the 20s this week. That's a breath of fresh air. It's actually supposed to be around 32 on Friday. Be still my beating heart! Sure, I have a dress fitting and bridal shower this weekend, but I'll be getting my hair did and I'll have some more dog time. So it's a wash. I might even come out ahead. I will kick January's ass before it can kick mine!

No comments: