25 January 2011

I don't think that's how it works.

Just finished watching Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) give the Republican response to the State of the Union address.

He tells me that my insurance premium went up this year because of health care reform. However, my insurance premiums have increased every year I've ever paid for insurance (oh, the days where my employer paid it at 100 percent ... I heart you, nonprofit sector).

So, Rep. Ryan, why on Earth would my insurance premiums have been increasing for, oh ... 14 years now? Sure, I had full employer-paid insurance some of those years, but when I went back to contributing, my premiums had increased.

But there wasn't health care reform until this year. And quite frankly, there's barely any of it starting now. Why would my premiums increase without health care reform?

Oh, that's right. Because insurance companies have but one mission -- make shitloads of money. I mean, people like Bill McGuire can't survive on a a mere $124.8 million. Poor guy had to backdate stock options just to get by. How terribly fucking awful for him.

2 comments:

Sigivald said...

(oh, the days where my employer paid it at 100 percent ... I heart you, nonprofit sector).

Don't worry, you were still paying for it, in the form of reduced pay compared to the same job with no employer-provided insurance.

Employers think of employees in terms of total cost.

The parts you see vs. what you don't see are marginally important only for psychological value in retention.

Jess said...

Yeah, I understand how it works.

I've turned down job offers where the pay was similar, but the offered job required an employee contribution to insurance premiums, which would have made my pay less than what I was making at whatever the current job was.