12 December 2010

It feels odd to feel this happy after such an epic snowstorm.

I survived the Halloween Blizzard of 1991. I was a senior in high school, so I lived at home. On the one hand, I didn't have to worry about digging out or moving my car. Maybe I had to shovel. But I was TRAPPED at home -- without booze, cable or the Interwebs.

For the biggest snowstorm since then (that's 19 years, y'all), I had plenty of booze, cable and Interwebs. But I also had to deal with digging out my car and getting stuck. I had to deal with going outside to do my laundry. I have to deal with navigating the city to get around and I have to get to work tomorrow.

Maybe it's because there were a few inches less of snow this go-round, but maybe it's being a grown-up, but I really feel kind of amazingly happy tonight. Sure, I'm sore and was horribly frustrated and near tears a number of times yesterday after getting stuck just trying to navigate the streets around my apartment. Sure, it's going to be a nightmare getting around the city the rest of the winter.

Oh, and I've got family time coming up this weekend. I have a wedding shower for SILTB Friday night and family Christmas Saturday. And on Friday night I don't think I get to sleep in an actual bed. Then next weekend there is more family time.

Despite all of that -- and the general out-of-sortsness the snowstorm has left me with -- I am feeling ridiculously happy tonight. One reason is the way people are just so fucking friendly and helpful after a snowstorm. We talked about it at the cookie exchange tonight; we all experienced it. Stephanie is embodying that helpful awesomeness. The Boy I Currently Like's neighbor's boyfriend helped him with the shoveling and wanted nothing in return (The Boy is sick and I felt terrible that I couldn't get over to help him). It all just gives me faith in humanity.

I had a wonderful time at the cookie exchange. I'm not sure I can really put into words how absolutely fucking awesome those ladies are and how much I love them. I'm also feeling super-close to The Boy. I have to go to work tomorrow, so I know this overwhelming feeling of contentment won't last, but I only have this week of work left for the year. I'm hoping I can hold on to the good feelings to get through this week and through the family time of the holidays. I can do it. I will do it! I'm going to try, anyway.

This feels kind of ramble-y and discombobulated, but I kind of feel that way. So, you know it's from the heart, or something.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know! Winter storms make me feel like I could still hack it as a pioneer, and people are really good at heart, and we just help each other.

Jess said...

I don't think I could hack it as a pioneer, but I can get through a Minnesota winter. Then again, I've made it through about three dozen Minnesota winters, so it's not like I should be proud of myself or anything.