24 October 2010

Nothing new to say.

I am a broken record. It's Sunday night and I just finished up dishes after making my lunch for the week.

Actually, I only have four days worth of lunch. I'll have to defrost some chili or a sweet potato burrito for one day. I've decided that maybe throwing a random lunch into the week to break things up might be a good idea. Of course, that's more work. But what can you do?

The Boy I Currently Like pointed out on Friday night that I am mildly obsessive about planning my lunches. In my defense, I'm obsessive about many things. Also, all the "experts" say you should make a weekly meal plan. Plus, by the time I get home from the gym and have to shower, I just have very little time to cook during the week. My obsessing is pretty much justified, I think.

Speaking of food, this was the last week of the CSA season. I'm mega bummed. I have a lot of food left -- potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, parsnips, carrots, radishes ... maybe some other stuff. It might last me another month or two if I don't use it every week. I used up my really perishable stuff tonight on a stir-fry (broccoli, romanesco, peppers [those were from my mom's garden, actually], carrots and baby red bok choi). I'll throw the bit of spinach I got into my morning scrambled eggs.

Next weekend I'll make a veggie chili again. It won't be all fresh veggies this time -- I'll be using canned tomatoes. But I'll be putting sweet potatoes in this one. And kale. I put kale in the last veggie chili I made and it was delightful. After that, there will be much in the way of oven-roasted vegetables, I imagine. There's also some random chicken stew recipe I found somewhere that I'll try.

Of course, I feel bad now about having to buy vegetables at the grocery store. I've tried to cook and eat as seasonally as I can the last two years with my CSA box. The Uptown Market this summer helped me a lot in that respect. I feel awful about buying vegetables at the grocery store if I'm getting them on a weekly basis from my CSA box. I'll make substitutions galore to not have to buy anything extra. But now, it's all just a bunch of root vegetables that won't last forever.

I'd be stoked about having a pantload of squash/sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving, but I found out last month that KayGee and The Prison Librarian will be out of town for Thanksgiving this year. I'm beyond sad about it. But not so sad that I'll mention it to my family. I'll probably end up doing Thanksgiving by myself. It's sad and makes me feel like ... I don't know. But however it makes me feel, I'd rather feel like that than spend my favorite holiday with my family. I'm sure something will come up -- there are always Thanksgiving orphans.

This post kind of took a detour from where I thought it was going to go. That's okay. I'm happy to write about food and cooking instead of how much I hate my job. It's a nice change of pace.

1 comment:

HoodCasanova said...

This is some great useful article. Why not start today thinking about what smalls steps you can begin to make to get in shape and a Weekly Diet Plan can change your life. Losing weight isn't a contest it's a opportunity to reclaim your health.