09 September 2010

Have you been spying on me?

Earlier today, I had a brief moment to read a bit of this story about a radio-collared research bear being shot in Northern Minnesota.

It seems like a dick move, to be sure. I'm conflicted about hunting. I understand the need to control population, because it seems far more humane for animals to be killed humanely/quickly (in an ideal world; I know it doesn't always happen that way) and used for food, than for them to slowly starve and/or succumb to disease because there are too many of them and not enough food.

I do not get hunting purely for sport. Nor do I get the "hunters" who go out "hunting" drunk and high and kill their kids. I use the quotation marks because the guy was neither licensed nor had permission to "hunt" on the land where he was hunting/shooting his kid.

But that is neither here nor there at the moment. What I want to point out is one of the comments on the story:

ignorant city people commenting on something they know nothing about
Bear hunters spend a lot of time and money and normally only hunt 1 or maybe 2 specific areas, for a short season. If the bear they have coming in is a monitored bear ?? oh well, probably would mean not getting a bear for that season if that one was let go. Bow hunting is even a little harder and much more sporting. Not everyones hobby is hanging out at uptown and drinking expensive coffee and judging others...

posted by mnfishrman on Sep. 8, 10 at 10:48 PM |
69 of 131 people liked this comment.


Okay, so you don't really hang out "at" Uptown. You might hang out at a coffee shop in Uptown, drinking your expensive coffee, sure. I want to know how this guy so accurately pegged this country-girl-turned-city-girl's favorite activity? Okay, so I prefer drinking cheap booze and mocking people, but it's pretty much the same thing.

Am I that much of a stereotype?

No comments: