09 August 2010

Stuff.

There were all these things I wanted to write about -- the Como Zoo trip Friday afternoon with The Boy I Currently Like, The National show at First Ave on Friday night with Law Talkin' Gal, my cousin's wedding shower Saturday and of course, the primary election tomorrow. But it's like, almost 9:30 and I have dishes to wash and a shower to take. Can I sum it all up in one post?


The zoo was a lot of fun. I'd not been to Como Zoo since I was in elementary school, if I remember correctly. This was the first public outing for me and The Boy, believe it or not. I mean, there was the New Year's party. That wasn't public, however. And once, we walked over to Pizza Luce to get our pizza. But that's it.

I was really impressed with him. The zoo was crowded and it didn't seem to bother him in the least. I mean, it was almost crowded enough for me to be antsy and uncomfortable. So for him to be calm, cool and collected made me really happy. We've already talked about going back in the fall, because we want to see the animals when it's not so goddamn hot for them. There were a lot of lazy animals on Friday. It wasn't even that hot, but I still didn't blame them.

The absolute worst part about the zoo visit was the dad who was being a HUGE DICK to his son. We were heading back in to the Polar Bear Odyssey building and got behind this dad pushing an older woman in a wheelchair (I assumed it was his mom) and kids I took to be his son and daughter. The boy looked to be about my nephew's age, maybe a bit younger. The polar bear who was outside got into the water. The Boy and I could tell even though we didn't actually see the polar bear get into the water. The kid was all excited and told his dad there was a polar bear in the water. Instead of ... doing anything that wasn't HUGELY dickish, the dad berated the kid. Told him there was no polar bear in the water. That big white thing in the water was just a big white thing floating in the water (which is true, but there was also a polar bear). The kid tried to tell his dad again, and again the dad berated him. I was so upset for that kid, I wanted to cry. I didn't even want to go back into the Polar Bear Odyssey. Jesus, I think of the look on that kid's face now, and I still want to cry. That guy was such a goddamn motherfucking asshole.

Friday night, The National at First Ave was most excellent. I feel a bit sheepish for avoiding their live shows for so long. I thought they'd be boring. But I was so very wrong. It had been too long since I'd been to a show with Law Talkin' Gal, as well. It's nice to have her back.

The wedding shower Saturday sapped my will to live. Even booze didn't help. But the booze was in the form of mimosas, which is such a typical lady brunch drink it made me want to hurl. I normally love spending time with my aunties, but this was awful. Nothing but talk of dresses and wedding shit. I don't know why all of this is bothering me so much now (perhaps because of all the wedding shit I have to do for my brother's wedding?), but it's absolute fucking torture. I hated every second of it.

What else? I did get to spend Saturday night with The Boy. So, I did eventually get over all the shower bullshit. We hung out two days in a row and it was absolutely delightful. Look at us, being all normal and shit. It's crazy.

And oh yes, the primary election tomorrow. I'm still waffling on my DFL choice for governor. It's a difficult decision for a number of reasons that I'd get into now if this post wasn't already so long and if I still didn't have all that shit to do tonight. Maybe tomorrow after I vote I'll write about it. Probably not, but you never know, right?

3 comments:

supertoyz said...

Oooo...thank you for the photos. Me and the wife I currently like went to the pay out your ass for shit I can see out my back yard zoo a couple of months ago and were pretty disappointed. I'm glad to see that Como has stepped up with some of the good stuff.

supertoyz said...

Oh, and somebody should have kicked that fathers ass. Maybe get him some good face time with the that big white thing in the water.

Jess said...

The Boy noted that one of the nice things about Como is that you can see everything in like, two hours. However at the other zoo, you might spend three hours there and feel like you didn't see everything.

And that dad just made me so fucking angry.