08 June 2010

Illiterate or asshole? You be the judge.

There are signs all over LA Fitness reminding gym users there is a limit of 20 minutes on all cardio equipment when people are waiting. They're not just located near the cardio equipment, either. It's been ingrained into my head. I notice because it's different from every other gym I've gone to, where the limit was 30 minutes. Actually, Bally apparently changed their limit from 30 to 20 at some point.

So, imagine my shock when I'm at the gym tonight and not a single treadmill is open, yet, as I walked past, probably half showed the runner/walker had been there for 20-plus minutes. Is it just a couple of poor souls who can't read, while the rest are stupid jerkwads? Or is it just a couple of assholes and an astounding number of people who can't read? I don't know.

The worst part was, there were people actually waiting in line to use the treadmills as they opened up. That, of course, didn't stop a pregnant woman from jumping the line in front of a girl who had been waiting patiently. Look lady, you can have my seat on the bus or cut in line in front of me for the bathroom. That's fine. But there's no etiquette that tells me you have priority to equipment at the gym simply because you're knocked up.

I hate it when so many people are either oblivious or intentionally deciding that they are more important, or that their time is more valuable than anyone else's time is. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, asshats.

On the other hand, I'm increasingly heartened to know that my new gym is not perfect. There's some (strange, sad) comfort in that. Perhaps because I don't know what to do with myself if I'm not at least a little bit miserable from time to time. Either way, since I've yet to see any shit or blood anywhere, it's still miles ahead of Bally.

5 comments:

AriSpark said...

Ah yes, fun times at the gym. Can't believe the pregnant lady just jumped the line.. I'd have to agree with you on the no etiquette thing.

Um.. blood/shit on the floor.. at the gym.. ew! unacceptable..

lmao @ asshats

Mone said...

Its getting very irritating to see people becoming more and more selfish nowadays.

Reuben said...

Jess, I'm worried you're setting yourself up for a terrible fall when you discover that someone has left a bloody pile of shit in the shower area.

Jess said...

There's a reason I don't take showers at the gym.

The Lady in Pearls said...

I bet they are the same damned people that have 45 items in their cart and stand in the 20 items or less checkout! I vote asshole, all the way!