27 May 2010

We have very different ideas of what "appreciation" means.

LA Fitness has been pimping its Member Appreciation day for ... well, I think for nearly as long as I've been a member. So, nearly a month. It's been a couple of weeks, at least, that I've been seeing some random, sexily posed woman advertising it (why you need to have a woman who looks like she's selling perfume or lingerie advertise your gym's membership appreciation is beyond me).

So, it was today. I don't recall seeing anything about what the event would entail, and when I got to the gym tonight, I saw why. The "member appreciation" event seemed to consist of a few tables with people from Mary Kay, the Vitamin Shoppe, another skin care line, someone with pizza (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming it was healthy pizza), a bank and an orthotics company.

You mean to tell me that you're showing your "appreciation" for my business by allowing me to buy shit from other people? LAME. Especially since it's shit I neither want nor need. A membership appreciation would at least have fucking drawings for free shit. No free energy drink or protein bar samples? No free five-minute massages? Shit. Bally out "member appreciations" you, LA Fitness.

The thing is, I wouldn't have given it a second thought if they hadn't had ONLY people trying to sell you shit or otherwise take your money as the sole membership appreciation activities.

I guess I'm glad that the bubble has finally burst. Now I know LA Fitness isn't the be all and end all of gyms (I knew that all along, but I'm pretty good at pretending). It's sure as fuck better than Bally, though.

No comments: