04 May 2010

Two of my favorite things.

Cooking and swearing. Yeah!

The Boy I Currently Like sent me a link today, without any commentary. It was to a site called "What The Fuck Should I Make For Dinner." AWESOME. You have options, too. You can get another recipe if you don't fucking like that, or if you don't fucking eat meat.

Every link I've clicked has gone to Epicurious.com, which delights me even further. I have this image of Epicurious being all fancy-pants and hoity-toity. So, a random recipe generator that features lots of "fucks" that leads to Epicurious kinda feels like giving the finger to rich people.

The recipe that popped up when I clicked the link was Bulgur Pilaf with Dried Apricots. I had all the ingredients at home already, and I needed a side to accompany my veggie burgers for the rest of the week, so I decided to make it tonight. I told The Boy this and he called me a food nerd. Hmph.

Perhaps it's my new-found decisiveness, but I made it even though it had that cinnamon/allspice and savory combo that I don't like. I'm really trying to make myself like that kind of thing. It's why I don't like Indian food. However, I now own sweet curry powder and Garam Masala and I don't hate using them. I can't eat a ton in one sitting, but I made a rice and lentil dish not that long ago and used Garam Masala and I ate it for lunch for an entire week. So, I'm growing!

Anyway, the Bulgur Pilaf is delicious. I added some dried cherries and orange-flavored dried cranberries. I also added some granulated garlic. Used vegetable stock instead of water. Oh, and I didn't fill the 1/8 and 1/4 teaspoon totally full of the cinnamon and allspice and did a heaping 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne. But I like it, so yay!

I also made some broccoli. I was getting ready for bed last night and had the Food Network's show The Best Thing I Ever Ate on while I was brushing my teeth.

Since I live alone, and I can do so, I sometimes wander around while I'm brushing my teeth. I can't just stand in the bathroom for a couple minutes while brushing the bottom, and then a couple more while brushing the top, for fuck's sake. So, I popped into the living room to see what was on TV. Cat Cora was talking about this broccoli dish she had at ... some ... restaurant? in Chicago? It sounded good -- caramelized broccoli with some fancy-schmancy imported Italian pepper, sliced garlic and citrus zest.

It just so happens that I had a bunch of broccoli in my fridge that needed to be cooked. So, I made my own version of that dish tonight, as well. Just cooked the broccoli in some olive oil, added a tiny bit of water, then threw in some garlic and lemon zest. Then I added crushed red pepper flake, salt, pepper and squeezed a bit of lemon juice over the top. Delicious! Honestly, I thought oven-roasting was the best way to eat broccoli. I was wrong. This new way is awesome.

Got a break from the new gym tonight, which makes me feel shitty for not working out. However, I think I needed to rein myself in from the giddiness the new gym has brought. So, it was good that Law Talkin' Gal needed a ride to pick up her car in St. Paul. I might be a little too into my new gym. I realized today that I can go to the Calhoun Square location on days I don't have yoga -- and I can walk there. This shit is fucking brilliant. Extra exercise, less gas, less driving, more love for the planet. Everyone wins! Unless it's full of hipster douches. Then I'll continue going to SLP.

Okay. This was supposed to be a quick little post that got away from me. But I can't go away without saying Happy Birthday to Josh, if you're still occasionally reading. This is really my only venue, since you're not on Facebook.

No comments: