02 May 2010

Is this the end of the "nasty gym bathroom" tag?

Today I worked out for the very first time at LA Fitness. Yep -- that deal I mentioned a few days ago was good and I signed up for a membership on Friday.

It was glorious. The gym is spacious and clean. There's ample parking in the lot, plenty of equipment in the gym itself. The bikes and treadmills have fans, y'all. You have your own, personal fan. Not only that, but the belts are nice and tight and there's plenty of give (I'm not at all sure how that works), so it feels springy and whatnot when you're walking. With the equipment being all new and stuff, everything moves so much more smoothly -- the elliptical machine and weights, as well. They have an actual stretching area, too.

Oh, and the lockerroom. It's lovely. It seems to me that there really aren't that many lockers, but it might just be the set-up. They're not exactly lockers, either; more like cabinets. Mirrors and sinks abound. Honestly, I wouldn't be afraid to take a shower there, because it was so clean. It was early Sunday afternoon and there was someone cleaning the lockerroom. WHAT? I've not seen anyone cleaning at Bally any time of any day for months.

The best part was, I felt great after working out. No soreness or anything. I attribute that to the fancy new equipment and also to the fact that I was just so thrilled to be working out there. Another best part -- they switched from ESPN to the Twins game when it started. If I can watch the Twins (and hopefully Timberwolves) at the gym, I will be the happiest girl alive.

Unfortunately, they don't have the instructors listed for classes and I won't know which yoga classes my former Bally instructor teaches until I actually go to one of her classes. I'm hoping she does the 7:45 class tomorrow. I know she was when she first started. However, she was also hired as the group fitness manager, but she's no longer doing that. Oh, that's right. I called to make sure she was still working there before I signed up for the membership. The girl I talked to said she teaches morning and evening classes, but was unsure of what days/times. It'll be an adventure, I guess.

3 comments:

Respectfully Yours said...

Good for you! You go...

Stephanie said...

This is so good to hear! My friend and I are both thinking seriously about defecting once our Bally memberships are up. That equipment sounds amazing. I can't believe they have TVs showing more than commercials for the very gym you are already a member of...

Jess said...

I will keep you up-to-date on any membership deals. I still have like, three guest passes, I got another one when I signed up and apparently, you can bring guests for the first two weeks of this month, if you want to check it out, Stephanie.

It's taken me a couple of days to realize this, but for someone who isn't huge on change and often agonizes over decisions, I just (finally) up and left my gym of 14 years.

What's even better is that I had zero qualms about showing up there and just working out. I wasn't worried about looking like an idiot or anything like that. I was confident and sure of myself and dammit, I'm proud of myself.