14 May 2010

Don't try to confuse her with the facts.

Gah. As I was reading this article about Sarah Palin spouting more lies and nonsense, I was composing a blog post in my head. Then I made the mistake of reading the comments (will I never learn?) and I just haven't got the energy.

This shit makes me so angry/stabby/ragey when I see/read/hear it. Then I stop to consider it for a moment, perhaps so I can write about it, and I just feel defeated and depressed. Palin spouts flat-out, bald-faced lies ("the new health care bill will pay for abortions!") and she's only occasionally called out on it. And even when she is, people believe her and she still goes on spouting it (Hello, death panels!). Then again, people still believe Iraq was involved in the September 11 terrorist attacks.

What can you do in the face of such willful ignorance?

I also love that she talks about the choice she made to have her Down syndrome son and the choice Bristol made to have her out-of-wedlock baby. That's what being pro-choice is all about, you fucking moron. Women have the CHOICE to have a baby at a not-ideal time. Women can choose to bring a child into this world who they know will have health problems. You got to make your choice. Your daughter got to make a choice. But no one else should have a choice? Fuck off.

Her stellar reasoning was on display in this statement, as well: "She said some young women would see what happened to Bristol and perhaps be encouraged to seek an abortion instead of facing similar criticism."

Yes, because there are so many young women out there whose mothers are running for vice president of the United States; whose mothers are parading them around for the media to see; whose mothers are using them as an example of all that is right and good in America. Young women the nation over are going to face a similar kind of criticism from the national media.

I can't fucking deal with this right now. I'm going to go drink, hide under my bed and maybe do some cutting.

8 comments:

scargosun said...

I hear ya. When I formulate a good island post she is going.

Mr.B said...

What lies? Be specific.

Seriously.

And no, I don't think I want her as a President. But she is at least as "qualified" as Obama. (don't want him either, but we are stuck with him.

Jess said...

I thought the lie to which I was referring was pretty obvious, as it was in parentheses right after the word lies.

But I'll go ahead and repeat it. Her statement that the new federal health care bill will allow for more abortions is bullshit. Federal funds can't be used for elective abortions. Federal funds couldn't be used for elective abortions BEFORE health care reform was passed, either. The Hyde Amendment, passed in 1976 saw to that.

Apparently, the Hyde Amendment was not enough and Obama had to issue an executive order reaffirming the Hyde Amendment to get Bart Stupak and his cronies to vote for health care reform.

However, since the Hyde Amendment must be reauthorized every year, her claim on federal funding for abortion isn't quite as outlandish as her lies about the death panels, which she just made up and continued to talk about as if they were true even though it was proven time and again that she was just making shit up. This is why her death panels bullshit was named "lie of the year."

Mr.B said...

Hardly a good source.

you should do a bit more research. Her claim is not as outlandish as you might think.

There was talk about end of life evaluation and such. It was in the HC bill at one point.

However, I must suggest that you spend a bit more time looking at less biased sources of information. While you are not always wrong, it is obvious that in cases like this you send too much time reading sources that parrot the DNC line. In this case, you have blinders on. You really need to open your mind.

Having said that, I must compliment you on your Blog. It is entertaining and fun to read. Keep up the good work.

Jess said...

I did use several sources. And those were basically the first ones that popped up in a Google search when I was looking for actual sources to back up what I already knew.

End of life discussion with your doctor does not equal DEATH PANEL. What she was calling a death panel was a provision to reimburse doctors for time spent discussing what a patient might want to do at the end of their life. Lord knows I would want my doctor to take the time to discuss, for example, a DNR with me if I was terminally ill.

Look, the idea was around in 2000!

Anonymous said...

if i may butt in, there are already death panels, they are insurance companies and HMOs. they already decide who gets to live and who gets to die. and, Mr. B, she is not qualified. in 4 tries, she still could not define what it is that a vice president does.
sorry to butt in on yr. blog/time, Jess.
barbara

Mr.B said...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/the_despicable_duty_to_die_xeWRjR1Y9u5KNzkqz5VCPK

Jess said...

And my sources are suspect?

I guess I must not be educated, because I've never heard anyone talking about a "duty to die."