19 April 2010

What part of "leave me out of this" do people not understand?

This family Facebook drama will just not end. Saturday night, my brother sent me (and my sister, I'm guessing) a text telling us to check out what our cousin was posting.

Of course, this leads to much back-and-forth over a few days with my siblings. My brother wants to do some big unfriending and my sister is threatening to call my cousin. Her shit-talking was apparently directed toward my mom, because my cousin posted something about moving, then my brother asked my mom what that was all about, and my mom asked me and I knew nothing, and then I don't know who else was in the chain, but it must have gotten back to my cousin.

So my cousin is all offended that anyone would dare ask what the fuck she meant about moving and refers to my mom as her "aunt." Just like that -- "aunt" in quotation marks, like she's not really her mother's sister. The best part, though, is this little gem: "I'll continue to let assumptions be made as my life will always be my business and my business only." Except, you know, until you post your business on Facebook, where it becomes the business of your 235 friends.

I realize all of that is ridiculous and I love to mock people for being morons. However, I don't think my siblings need to stick up for my mom, or make some grand gesture about unfriending one horrible cousin. No one will listen to me when I say we should JUST FUCKING IGNORE IT. I want to pretend she doesn't exist. I don't want to get involved. Yet, my family just can't let it go.

My only recourse seems to be to just ignore my siblings when they bring this up. The good news is that they won't be invited to the wedding, so there's that. Also, it could be worse -- I could be in an Internet slap fight with Scott Baio, as Jezebel is.

5 comments:

scargosun said...

It is very odd that we have a family issue on FB as well. I could not hold my tongue...er...fingers and had to jump in. You are a better person than me. ;)

Jess said...

I'm SO not a better person. I just can't be bothered to give a shit about these people.

Anonymous said...

very smart to avoid the hassle. my family is not evolved enough to use Facebook, we're still at the email/snailmail/telephone level. i still feel compelled to keep out of most of the conflicts, but i can do it much better now that i am 1300 miles away. see, i knew there would be more benefits . . . .anyway, good luck to you and yours.
barbara

Jess said...

I still thank the Baby Jebus my mom isn't on Facebook. I know it's only a matter of time, but the longer I can put it off ...

Anonymous said...

went to check out the slapfight, quite the excitement. not to mention the language, the intolerance, the bitchiness. . . .
sorry, i deal with enough whackjobs in real life to want to add-on.

barbara