13 April 2010

Nice work, Catholic Church.

The Vatican's Secretary of State (second in command to the Pope), said this week that pedophilia among the clergy is due to homosexuality and not celibacy.

There are at least a couple of things wrong with that statement. First, I would say that pedophilia is due to pedophiles being pedophiles. Secondly, the Vatican's Secretary of State made this statement in Chile, where one of the bigger pedophile priest scandals has involved the molestation of young girls.

Last week, The Boy I Currently Like and I were discussing this very matter. I mentioned to him that I'd just read a story about how U.S. victims are reliving their experiences now that the stories were beginning to come out about abuses in Europe. At least half of the people quoted in the story were women who had been raped/molested as young girls. I told him that it was refreshing (and I admitted that was a poor choice of words, but I really can't think of anything better) to read accounts from female victims. Because if more of that kind of thing came out, there would be less of the whole "the abusive priests are gay" bullshit.

And yet, here we are. The fucking Church saying that it's all because of the gays. Man, fuck you all. I can't really say I'm done with the Church, because I have been for quite some time. My convictions keep growing stronger, though. So, that's good.

Update: This post has apparently helped to spark quite the discussion over at MNSpeak. I've tried twice to comment there, and my stupid comments aren't showing up. So, I'll say what I had to say here.

I was raised and confirmed Catholic. However, I'm no longer a practicing Catholic. As long as I've ever spoken about The Church, I've meant that to mean The Vatican and the general administration, if you will, of the Catholic Church. I'm no theologian, but that's how I've always taken it to mean when anyone speaks about The Roman Catholic Church. The Church, the Vatican, whatever, that is body covering up the abuse and trying to blame it all on homosexuality. While individual Catholics around the world might believe the latter, I hardly imagine there's a conspiracy among the laity to cover up the sexual abuse of parishioners on a worldwide scale.

3 comments:

Bill From Gainesville said...

Celibacy for the catholic priests is outdated. The Kings of England made that happen so that there would not be "Heirs" to the pope- ship. - Course, I could go on and on about how messed up the Catholic Church is but I think I would just be preaching to the choir

Rafa said...

Pedophiles and homophobic.
Could be better?

Amen, sister.

scargosun said...

I was done a LONG time ago. Organized religion is like a bad office meeting every Sunday.