28 April 2010

Kitchen Therapy.

Ugh. Today was just as bad as yesterday -- possibly worse, because I woke up this morning certain it was Thursday. I realized it wasn't and was bummed. I hit the snooze, woke up a few minutes later thinking it was Thursday again. Mother. Fucker.

Things got worse at work. My computer was ridiculously slow. People were annoying the shit out of me. I'm sure there was other stuff, but my brain is fried and I really can't remember most of it. It was bad enough that there were several times during the day I wanted to crawl under my desk and cry.

I had to miss yoga tonight, but it turned out to be not that big of a deal. I missed yoga because I was going to Let's Dish! with my sister and future sister-in-law. My sister and I did it two years ago, both then and tonight it was part of a summer trip fundraiser for her school.

The big difference this year was that instead of four meals, we did 12. Or, we were supposed to do 12. My sister called shortly after I got home, asking if we'd done one of the meals. We hadn't. Oops. I chalk that up to my fried brain, and just the general hecticness of it all. It must happen fairly often, because they had no problem letting her come back tomorrow to make that meal (actually, two of the same meal).

Somehow, I also ended up with only five meals to the others' seven. But my sister remedied that by splitting one she split with the sister-in-law-to-be. I hope my SILTB (I pronounced that "silt-b" in my head) enjoyed herself. She's apparently not much of a cook. I don't know if she can't cook, or she's never really tried or she maybe can a little but isn't that confident.

The nice thing about Let's Dish! is that it's really just meal assembly. You only have to measure/count ingredients and put them together. Well, you do have to prepare it later, but it's nothing complicated. There's no chopping or anything like that. Sure, I'd rather make stuff myself. However, it's a nice change of pace to have all this shit in my freezer that I can throw together when I want. It's not like it's processed. So, hopefully this gave SILTB some confidence and taught her something.

Even just assembling meals is therapeutic to me, it turns out. I feel so much better than I did at work. That could also be due to the fact that I know when I wake up tomorrow it WILL ACTUALLY BE THURSDAY. I have hope I'll get through this week. *crosses fingers*

2 comments:

Ed Kohler said...

Let's Dish! seems to turn cooking into baking. Follow the instructions and you'll be in the clear. No need to ponder what's happening and why. There's definitely a market for that.

But, in my book, it doesn't compete with a well-cooked Jack's Pizza.

Jess said...

I don't know what could compete with a well-cooked Jack's Pizza.