14 March 2010

Screw Christmas.

THIS is truly The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

Despite the fact that I lost an hour of sleep and started my day later than I'd hoped, today has been pretty damn great. I kind of regret going to the gym to work out, instead of walking around Lake Calhoun, but there will be plenty of opportunities for that. Besides, I had a really good work out.

My windows have been opened since I got back from the gym. They're still wide open now, as is the door to the deck. It's still 57, for Christ's sake! It's going to cool off later in the week, but it stayed light and it was sunny and warm and I had a beer on the deck and oh man, does all that make me happy.

Apparently, some people don't like the smell of this time of year. That's a damn shame. Then again, I grew up on a farm, so the smell of thawing soil and decaying winter leftovers is pretty good, compared to the smell of hog manure on a hot, still summer night. The smell in the air at this time of year is the smell of renewal, of a promise of lovely weather and fun to come. I don't know how anyone could not like it.

My beloved Golden Gophers were in the Big Ten Conference Tournament final today. There was some question about whether or not they had to win to assure their place in the NCAA tournament. They didn't win, so I had some tense moments between the end of the game and the announcement of the Midwest bracket. Thank God I didn't have to wait until the end. The Gophers will play Xavier Friday as a No. 11 seed. Any other year I would totally pick Xavier, but I swear it was just last weekend that I was talking about Xavier with The Boy I Currently Like. Most years, I hear about them during the season. But I've not heard a word this year. So, that's good.

There is so much I love about this time of the year. Today is College Roommate's birthday, in addition to being Selection Sunday. I have Thursday and Friday off work. When I was in college, College Roommate and I would spend the day today getting ready for the Selection Sunday show. We should have been studying for Finals and getting ready for Spring Break, but we loved to procrastinate. We'd recreate the bracket on the wall over our couch.

Despite the fact that I've been out of school for many years, this still feels like Spring Break, because I'm off work on Thursday and Friday. I'm not going anywhere, other than to St. Paul to hang out with The Boy I Currently Like. But I won't be at the office and I will be watching basketball. I have a lot of work to get done before the end of Wednesday, so it'll probably feel like I have finals, too. Just like college!

Oh, also, my raise should show up on my paycheck this week. And, a couple of coworkers were going to try to get Twins tickets for the second weekend of the home season. I could be going to a game in the new stadium a month from now! I'm feeling pretty damn good about things right now.

1 comment:

Rafa said...

I like spring's smells. Do you know azahar? Orange or lemon flowers.
But I don't know why spring gives me a strong melancholy.
I always say I prefer grey clouds, cold weather and rain. However, if I have to die, I surely die in winter, at Christmas or immediately after that.