09 March 2010

Noooooooo!

Twins closer Joe Nathan has a significant tear in his ulnar collateral ligament. If it doesn't heal in two weeks (yeah, right), he'll have Tommy John surgery and be out for the season.

When the news that he left the game he was pitching in on Saturday came across the ESPN ticker Saturday night, I shared my concern with The Boy I Currently Like. He said Pat Neshek was looking good and he could take Nathan's spot no problem. I wasn't sure what I thought about that then and I'm still not sure now. He's coming off a serious injury, too. When he's on, though? Damn he's good.

Many commenters in the Strib story are talking about moving Francisco Liriano into the closer's spot. It's intriguing, to be sure. Last year, he'd look great for a couple innings. By the time he'd get to the fourth or fifth, it was all over. That didn't happen every time, of course, but it seemed to happen much, much more than it should have.

I suppose if it was going to happen, it's best that it happen now. They'll have time to pull together a back-up plan before the season even starts. Poop. This tempers my baseball excitement a bit, but I'm still ready. Or, I will be after next weekend.

2 comments:

Bill From Gainesville said...

"I suppose if it was going to happen, it's best that it happen now. They'll have time to pull together a back-up plan before the season even starts" ---- Way to rally with the positiveness because really this does suck if you are a Twins Fan....but if there is a bright side, thats pretty much it, although not really that bright, just maybe less dull in a hopeful glass is half full type of way....

oh well why not? said...

Just when everything seemingly was coming together for the twins. I am equally surprised at the amount of money that they have spent picking up free agents this off season as I am that they have yet to sign Joe Mauer to a long term deal...

If any manager can find a way to win games with the cards that they're dealt throughout the course of a season it's gardy. I'm sure that the Twins will take the central again this year, hopefully without a 163rd game.