22 March 2010

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

This is my opinion of the historic "health care reform" legislation that passed the House yesterday, and awaits President Obama's signature. Then, it has to go back to the Senate, to have the kinks worked out, as it were.

I don't really think you can call it health care reform, because it's mostly about insurance. I hate that there are abortion restrictions. I hate that we still don't have a public option, or even better, a single-payer system. But I like that women won't be charged more than men for health insurance; I like that people (eventually) won't be denied because of preexisting conditions; that people will have health care, for fuck's sake.

It's silly for me to be disappointed that it's not everything I want. Well, it's not silly. It gives me, and everyone else who feels the same way, something to work toward. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. I hate saying "It's better than nothing," but that's the truth. It's pretty much better than what we have now. And you have to start somewhere.

As for Rep. Noogiebooger (R-TX) and his shouting "It's a baby killer" during while my favorite guy ever, Rep. Bart Stupak, was speaking on the House floor ... where do I start? Yes, the executive order proclaiming no federal funds would be used for abortion, as well as legislation that gives better access to health care for expectant mothers, and better access to health care for infants and children, is clearly going to kill a lot of babies. Your respect for your office has been duly noted, as well, ass munch.

Either way, I'm glad I got my raise, so I can donate a little extra money to the Hersey Abortion Assistance Fund. This is good, because it looks like they really need it.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I wrote this one Twitter but I just wish that all the liberals who were throwing tantrums about this bill would realize that, if we waited for everything to be perfect out of the gate then we'd never have anything. Ever. So, I agree with you, it gives us something to work toward.

Jess said...

I've seen some comments from people who were disappointed that the legislation didn't go far enough changing their tune because of the way conservatives/tea baggers/et al. are completely losing their shit over it.

If they think world is ending because of this relatively minor health insurance reform, well, then it must be pretty good.