09 February 2010

OMG! The world is ending!

Not really. But you wouldn't know it from reading some of the comments on the story the Strib wrote about the winter parking rules taking effect in Minneapolis Thursday.

Okay, I'll agree with the commenters wondering about Snow Emergency Routes. My street is one thing -- we have a parking lane and boulevard. While I have to wait for a break in traffic to get out of my car and get things out of the backseat (perhaps I should start using the trunk exclusively until the snow is gone?), I don't have to play chicken with oncoming traffic like I do when I'm driving down Bryant Avenue. That's also a Snow Emergency Route, but it's not much wider than other streets and cars line both sides, so you're reduced to playing chicken.

I'm wondering if the people commenting on the story are relatively new to Minneapolis. It's been a long time since the last winter-long parking restrictions were put into place. I recall clearly when it was called in 1996-1997. I lived on Blaisdell Avenue, which is a one-way in Minneapolis's Whittier Neighborhood (at least the portion of Blaisdell on which I lived). It was also a Snow Emergency Route and I didn't have guaranteed off-street parking. There was also only parking on one side of the street. And lots of apartments in the area. Yet, I never had to park more than a block away from my apartment that winter. (Note the last time this actually happened was in 2001 and I remember it vaguely, but I had off-street parking then, and didn't do nearly the amount of driving on side streets as I do now.)

We live in Minnesota, for fuck's sake. We're having a normal-ish winter for once in forever and people are acting as if the world is coming to an end because some of us might have to park further away from our homes for less than two months, at most. For most people, it will be an annoyance, at best. There are morons freaking out about what will happen if there is another snow emergency declared. The rules are the same as they are right now, chuckleheads. You're not going to have to dig your cars out of the odd side on your own. You can park them on the even side of the street while the odd side is plowed. You might even be able to park on the even side when Snow Emergency Routes are being plowed. But don't quote me on that.

Now, if only we could get someone started on filling potholes. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Streets and interstates in Minneapolis and St. Paul are worse than I remember them being ever. There is something that is on the verge of being a sinkhole in the Franklin-Lyndale intersection that I drove through today. I will be amazed if I make it through the rest of the winter without one or more of my wheels completely flying off.

3 comments:

Emily said...

AMEN! You beat me to writing this exact post. :)

Jess said...

Seriously. I don't remember hearing such an outcry last time, but Strib Commenters didn't have the outlet then that they did now.

Oh, Internets. You've changed our lives in so many ways.

Jess said...

My favorite comment (granted ... it has a Simpsons reference, so I'm biased):

I'm not peaved at the public works folks, but....
To you dummies who think it's cool to park IN the street to gain an extra 4 feet of driver-door clearance: I told you this was going to happen. Seriously, everyone has to snake by your dumb parking job. You're like that Simpsons episode where Homer farts in a little room, then tries to cover it up by turning on the radio - not appropriate and blatantly annoying. May your mirrors be sacrificed to the god of the garbage truck for parking like idiots.

posted by nhsmrekar on Feb. 10, 10 at 10:55 AM |
6 of 6 people liked this comment.