01 February 2010

The gym is annoying.

Okay, so I didn't laugh at the guy two treadmills down who slammed into the front of his machine. I guess the joke was on me, because about 10 seconds after that happened, it smelled like someone had shit their pants. And I'm thinking that might have been what happened, because that was the lingeringest fart I've ever smelled. That shit (ha!) went on and on. Can't you fucking hold it in, for Christ's sake?

Another gym annoyance? Machine hoggers. Do you really need to spend 45 minutes to an hour on a single machine? Other people would like to use it, you know. And your towel, book, clipboard, water bottle and other sundry supplies you've piled up around the machine make me not want to ask if I can work in.

Also, why bother coming to the gym if you're going to sit at a machine for five minutes to do one half-hearted set and spend the rest of the time picking at your arm?

Hey, you guys leaning on that machine -- could I maybe use it? Thanks. I don't want to make a joke with you. Just say yes and let me use the damn machine.

At least there was no poo on the toilet seats. Hooray for small favors.

5 comments:

kate said...

We've got a gym in our apartment complex and, I swear, it never fails, but just before I walk in the door, a flock of very tiny blond girls hop on every treadmill, stationary bike and eliptical at the same time and set the timers for a nice, long, leasurely 45-walk-and-talk. I usually end up doing about 3 rounds on a circuit machine and running outside in the snow. *sigh*

Jess said...

God, I hate it so much when people (unwittingly) fuck with my routine. I'm trying to be better about it, but I'm failing miserably.

Emily said...

Aww, that makes me feel bad that I've been doing long runs on the treadmill lately. I do try to go during off-peak times and go to the less popular gym branches, but I'm just too much of a wimp to train for the half marathon outside yet!

Jess said...

Meh, if there aren't people waiting/there are other machines open, you shouldn't really feel bad. Plus, you're clearly taking others into consideration.

The guy I was bitching about was on the shoulder press machine. There's just no need to do shoulder presses for an hour.

AriSpark said...

It is quite annoying when someone uses a machine for like 5-10 mins and then they just sit there! Why? Why must they do this? Get off the fecking thing if you're not gonna use it!