05 January 2010

Plus-size models make me feel as shitty as regular-size models.

Yesterday, Jezebel posted a piece about the preview of V Magazine's spread featuring plus-sized models. It's V's "size issue." (Note: nekkid boobies on Day 3, if you're into that kind of thing.)

The comments on Jezebel's post are mostly all glowing -- so many women who looked at those photos and thought, "Dammit, I'm hot, too." That is awesome.

I thought I might feel that way, too. But I did not. Because, although these women look a lot like me, body-wise, they're still absolutely fucking beautiful. They would be beautiful without having their cellulite and zits Photoshopped away. They'd still be beautiful without an army of makeup artists, hair stylists and lighting technicians.

And therein lies the problem. I'm not funny-looking, nor am I a monster. But I'm not pretty; most certainly not beautiful. So, despite the fact that there are these hot-ass bitches whose bodies look kinda like mine (except, of course, I'm still not shaped right ... fucking apple-shaped body), they still make me feel like shit because they're still an impossible standard of beauty.

Lovely. Or, you know, not.

8 comments:

Emily said...

But at least they look like, you know, human beings and not this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/06/emboing-boingem-and-ralph_n_311593.html

Jess said...

Ah, the infamous Ralph Lauren Photo Chop.

I can't believe that was really a published ad.

Stephanie said...

1) For what it's worth, I think you are beautiful! You are always so crazy upbeat and positive when I run into you at the gym, even though your blog informs me that you have plenty to be crabby about. It's infectious!

2) http://nymag.com/fashion/look/2009/spring/transformations/
They're regular-size, and holy jebus. I like my "before" better.

my name is Amanda said...

I don't know what you look like, but either way, I feel you. The thing is, with these models - they're photogenic. Some people aren't. I'm not. Definitely not. My nose somehow manages to be both wide and pointy, and then asymmetric to top it off. I will only take photos from one time-tested angle. My friends with their photo-friendly, round, delicate noses, don't know what they have. Oh well.

You work out all the time, so I'm willing to bet there are plenty of fabulous things about your body.

I have fabulous boobs. So there's that.

Eyes Wide Open said...

You know what I hate? That those women are considered plus size and not average size. Because, those women are typical women. Instead of calling super-thin models "average" they should be renamed....like, skinny bitch size. Or something.
PS: Watch the docco "America the Beautiful". A little dated (2007) but good stuff.
http://americathebeautifuldoc.com/

Jess said...

Stephanie:
1) The upbeat attitude is due to "YAY! Stephanie's here!."

2) I won't go on a rant about how they all still look good sans makeup, but I will offer these points -- my mom's '80s sunglasses are not fashion, Fashion People. Also, I want that crazy blue eye shadow. BADLY.

Amanda: I don't even have one good angle. I was disgusted by the picture The Boy took of me on NYE, which was bad angle, bad hair, gross face and everything. I'm not the least bit photogenic, save for very rare, non-replicable situations.

EWO: Word. And thanks for the link. I shall watch it soon.

Respectfully Yours said...

Thanks for the post. It was nice to see the photos. You are right, they look so lovely. Wonder what size they are, what do you think...14 or 16?

Jess said...

At most. Probably smaller.