04 January 2010

How refreshing.

I don't know if it is the economy, or the cold or some other reason, but there seemed to be a considerable lack of New Year's Resolutioners at the gym tonight.

Sure, I went at 7:00, which is later than I had been going, but usually I can barely get a treadmill at that time until like, March. I got a nice spot in front of a TV to watch the Pitt-Cincy hoops game with no stinky motherfuckers around me. There wasn't much in the way of waiting or adjusting my weights routine. I even scored rock star parking. What. The. Fuck?

Thank goodness I went. I always waffle about working out when I'm sick. There's this voice in my head saying there is no point in working out if you're not going to do a full, hard workout. So, I either don't go at all or go and push myself too hard. I do the same thing when I'm short on time. Why am I such a moron? Anything is better than nothing, for Christ's sake. Why can't I get that through my stupid fucking skull?

It's not a New Year's Resolution or anything, because I don't do that (also, I just decided it today), but I'm really trying to have a more flexible attitude about things. Like working out, for example -- if I'm not feeling great, I'll probably feel better if I go and do something. That's what I did tonight. And you know what? Despite the fact that I'm dizzy and have a headache now, I do feel better.

The dizziness is why I cut my workout a bit short. I figured I'd end up coughing myself into a horrible headache, but that developed on my drive home. Score.

I'm half-assedly watching the Boise State - TCU game (is this the Fiesta Bowl?) and the Boise State band is on right now. They just had a close up on a couple of percussion players and the girl(?) playing the cowbell looked like she wanted to slit her wrists. AWESOME. UPDATE: Here is the video. With the correct link this time. Yeesh.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't she know that "I have a fever and the prescription is MORE COWBELL!!!"

Jess said...

No shit.

Also, I've gotten a ton of hits already searching "Boise State Band Cowbell Girl" or something similar.

AWESOME.

Bill From Gainesville said...

Cowbell and those tamborine things are like the slow learners of the musical instrument world. They are like the 10th graders that are still reading about spot the dog and dick and jane and stuff.

Jess said...

Bet you feel bad knowing she's blind, huh?

I'm still not sure why she'd be so sad. She is playing the cowbell, after all.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

It took forever for that damned Pitt/Cincy game to finish. I wanted them to switch over so I could watch Chapel Hill lose.

Fortunately, I got to see the last 2.2 seconds or whatever of the overtime.

Jess said...

I fully regret not going home to watch the end of that game. That would have avoided the dizzies, too.

Suck it, Tarheels!

So, if you don't like Carolina, you must be a Duke fan, huh? Don't worry, I won't hold it against you.

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

No, no. Not a Dukie, either.

I'm a transplant to the Raleigh-Durham area and I quite enjoy watching all three of the "big schools" go down in defeat.

Emily said...

I have a hard time with the "all or nothing" gym mentality too. I'm really going to have to work on that when I start training for a half marathon next month. All those "cross-training" and "rest" days are important too.

Jess said...

Yay for not being a Duke fan, either, Mr. M. Jenks. Honest to Christ, I've never felt like more of an outsider than I did when I was at UNCW when the Carolina-Duke hoops game was approaching. Why can't they both lose, dammit?

I hope you're able to even things out, Emily. Who would think that resting would be so difficult? And why do I enjoy it most when I'm not supposed to be doing it?