22 December 2009

With the physical pain finished, the mental anguish can begin.

My IUD placement was successful! Holy fucking shit, did it hurt. It was enough to make me gasp and say "Holy crap!" More telling, however, might be the fact that I was sweaty, shaky and dizzy. It took me several minutes to get steady enough to climb off the table and get dressed.

Now, I've been home for about an hour and the cramping has settled down to slightly worse than the cramping I had earlier (due to the misorprostol). Probably about the same as the worst cramps I've ever had, which isn't that bad. I don't get them often and I don't get them very badly, so this is highly unpleasant. But I'm not immobilized or anything. I'm not even laying on the couch at the moment (though I will be soon).

I probably didn't need The Boy I Currently Like to drive me home, but I felt shaky enough that I was very glad to have him there. At one point in recent weeks, I was claiming I'd be fine and able to do it myself if he was too busy at work to get away. However, he didn't think that was such a good idea and made sure he could drive. He's a good one.

Thankfully, I feel good enough to start drinking in the very near future and celebrate my little bit of time to myself. This motherfucking weather is going to have me spending three days at home, at least. It's going to make me crazy. I'm SO tempted to just not go. I'm dreading it. DREADING, y'all. I don't know if I can be nice that long. I'll have to be drunk, I guess. That probably won't be enough.

Damn. I am a broken fucking record. Time for a Bloody Mary and some Law & Order to tide me over until college hoops start.

Edit/Update: In an effort to make myself stop dreading being at home, I've tried to think of some good things about being on the farm.

1. Free booze.
2. Free food.
3. Wii with my nephew.
4. Wireless interwebs.
5. Free booze.
6. Sweet TV on which to watch the Gopher game tomorrow night (if I can commandeer said sweet TV).
7. Machine shed to park my car so as to avoid digging it out from under a foot of snow.
8. Free booze.
9. Dad/brother to do the aforementioned digging if we can't get all the vehicles in the machine shed.
10. Dishwasher to wash dishes after I'm done baking.
11. Free booze.
12. Free booze.

5 comments:

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

Will there be bacon?

I hope you recover from your procedure. Back when I was still kicking around the pre-med idea, I learned about toxic-shock syndrome and it still sends a shiver up my spine.

*shudder*

See?

Jess said...

There damn well better be bacon. I just cooked up my last package.

And thank you. I think I'm recovering pretty well (thanks to ibuprofen and booze).

Toxic-shock is scary. As was the possibility of a perforated uterus. BUT THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Thank you Jebus.

Little Ms Blogger said...

Glad to hear you're recovery is going well, but very sorry to hear there will be no free booze.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Whew. See? It was uncomfortable and unpleasant, but not fatal. Glad to hear you got through it okay and The Boy drove you home. He IS a good one.

Hope you get free booze no matter where you spend your holiday.

Merry Christmas, Jess!

Jess said...

I'm still packing my cocktail shaker, vermouth and olives, LMB. Just to be prepared.

Unpleasant is an understatement, Muffy. I'm not entirely sure what kind of pain I was expecting, but when that dilator went in, I was caught a bit off guard.

The cramping seems to be gone and I think I could go to the gym, if I didn't have to GET HOME NOW! BEFORE WE'RE ALL SNOWED IN!

Thanks for all the advice and answers, Muffy. It was very helpful. And very, very merry Christmas to you!

And all y'all.