26 December 2009

Sweet solitude.

Ah, home. How I missed you so.

Somehow, I made it through three days at home without too much mental anguish and without anyone really getting hurt. Christmas Eve was unpleasant, but you've already read about that. Yesterday wasn't too bad. My nephew enjoyed his gifts and my sister-in-law-to-be had her two-year-old niece over with her, so at least there was something around to distract my mom. Spending most of the last two nights in a room away from the rest of the fam watching what I wanted to watch on TV helped, as well.

Today we were all able to get out, as my dad spent a considerable amount of yesterday plowing out the yard. My sister and I went shopping with my mom, but only after we stopped to visit the grandparents. Holy. Shit. Look, I only went because my mom insisted. I've made it clear I don't like those people, but it turns out that I think they're actually being treated really shittily by my aunt. She insists they're okay to stay in their house, but that's just not fucking true. Not. At. All. She apparently thinks her "support" will somehow get her their house when they finally do leave, or something.

Bah. Whatever. It was mercifully brief. Shopping wasn't too bad either. I got a cardigan and a pair of boots. I returned my too-big pair of jeans from Old Navy. Would have exchanged them or bought more, since all the jeans were $15 today (I KNEW that was going to happen, yet I couldn't wait), however, they didn't have my damn size. Bastards.

But now I am home in my lovely apartment. The street was plowed, our sidewalks have been shoveled (though, I did clear a path on my deck and back to the back door so I don't have to wade through drifts to do laundry tomorrow) and I've washed the stink of Janesville off me. I feel (and look, despite half-assed hair and half-washed off makeup) so much better. That could be the wine, but I felt a million times better before I had a drink.

All is mostly well. Mostly because my stupid cable box shit the bed at some point in the last couple of days. Not shocking, given it's penchant for turning off and on and rebooting itself at random times (and not including the remote where half the buttons don't work). I'd welcome a new cable box and remote when the cable guy comes tomorrow (on a Sunday, y'all!), but that would mean I'd lose all those episodes of Ab Fab and 2 Stupid Dogs. They'll be on again, though.

Despite some lingering cramps and spotting, I'm recovered from the IUD procedure and can get back to the gym this week. And I'll get to see The World's Worst Wing Woman tomorrow and will be seeing KayGee and The Prison Librarian for sushi happy hour sometime this week. All that is good, because I need something to distract me from the whole New Year's Eve thing that is fast approaching.

Oh, and I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for Christmas. I will be baking the fuck out of some shit this week. Baked goods for everyone!

5 comments:

the iNDefatigable mjenks said...

My cable/internet/phone box did that same shit on Christmas morning. We were wondering why no one had called us. And then I sat up here unplugging and replugging and pressing buttons and swearing at Time Warner Cable.

Where do you find 2 Stupid Dogs? I haven't seen that show in a really long time.

Jess said...

I'd wonder if it was some sort of Comcast problem, but you have Time Warner. My only explanation is that cable companies are evil.

2 Stupid Dogs is sometimes on Boomerang. It ran in the late spring/summer/early fall of this year. I think they just run it for a while once or twice a year.

AriSpark said...

Nothing like being back in your own space! Woohoo, for the KitchenAid and its magical mixing goodness. :)

Jess said...

I'm so freakin' excited to use it. I can't even tell you.

Carrie said...

I like cookies.