02 December 2009

Small improvement.

Tonight in yoga, we did Monkey Pose. That is the splits for those who don't feel like clicking on the link. I requested it. Stephanie usually asks if there is anything in particular we want to do, and I've requested working the hip area a few times, but not with anywhere near the frequency I did when Renee was our instructor.

Anyway, it's been about six months (at least) since I last attempted the pose. I've been very close in the past -- just a couple of inches of space between the mat and my thighs. But not anymore. I slid my way flat to the floor on the right side in class tonight. And it felt pretty damn easy. I'm still two to three inches away on the left side, but my left side is just tighter than my right.

It's only a matter of inches, but I feel like I've accomplished something. I've been at this consistently for almost three years now and I don't necessarily see a lot of change or progress. It's all pretty incremental, so when the day comes I can do something properly, it's pretty exciting.

The other thing about tonight was that it was a really good class. It's the first class I've really enjoyed. I was dripping sweat, my hair is still wet (okay, that's more about my hair taking forever to dry than anything else), I worked hard. But I feel so good.

I realize it's not a big deal and it's a very small thing. But that doesn't matter right now. I have to take what I can get, you know? And if this little thing boosts my mood, then I'm going to take it and you can fuck the fuck off if you think it's lame.

Completely unrelated side note: Former FSN personality Clay Matvick (he's got his own website! which is under construction) is doing play-by-play for the Gopher basketball game on ESPNU. Good for Clay. It's nice to see him working. I can't remember if it is The Boy I Currently Like or his friend who does not remember Clay Matvick. I remember him liberally applying Chapstick before interviewing Ben & Jerry (yes, that Ben & Jerry) in the Xcel Energy suite at the X when I was there with Ben & Jerry for work.

6 comments:

Bill From Gainesville said...

Football and Yoga are alot alike. It's all about the inches. except for in Yoga I assume you rarely get concussions and you probably don't wear a helmet either.

Jess said...

There are times a helmet might make me feel a bit more secure, but that would totally throw off my balance.

Gotta live dangerously, I guess.

jg_38 said...

What's his website? I went to SCSU with him.

Word Verification: trushim

Jess said...

God, I love it when word verification is oddly appropriate.

His (totally under construction) website is: www.claymatvick.com.

jg_38 said...

Why didn't I just use Google. Sometimes, I am the person I hate.

Duh!

Jess said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. I am a professional Googler, after all. I'm happy to do the work!