24 December 2009

Serenity now.

Somehow, I managed to make it through day one of Snowmageddon '09/Family Christmas yesterday with really very little in the way of snarkiness/sarcasm/criticism/yelling. However, things don't seem to be going quite as well today.

Everything started out alright, when my sister and I went on over to Mankato so I could finish my shopping this morning shortly after waking up. The roads weren't very bad at all (and were just wet by the time we came home) and there was very little in the way of fellow shoppers. AWESOME. We were back to the farm in about two hours, and that was with some shopping for ourselves thrown in for good measure.

Things started to unravel a bit after we got home. For whatever reason, my mom decided she needed our input on every. single. meal. we were having over the next several days. Mind you, she'd asked for recipes and told us what she was making weeks ago. Then she gets all pissy when I we asked why she was changing this shit up. And why the fuck is it suddenly our decision? I would have certainly figured all that shit out before I came down IF SHE'D ONLY TOLD ME.

Look, it's bad enough that I have to come home for Christmas. And it's worse that I have to be here for like, three-plus days. You start with the bitching and criticizing and freaking the fuck out when I ask a simple question, and things aren't going to go very well. I quickly retreated to my room to read. However, my book was downstairs, so I stared at the wall for a while.

Then it was time to go to Mass. We were there for TWO HOURS. Had to get there early to get a seat, dontcha know. It was hot and there were roughly a billion noisy, crying children. I had more post-IUD insertion cramping. Oh, and it was fucking church. It was fucking awful. AWFUL.

(Side note: There seemed to be quite the rash of modified Kate Gosselinesque asymmetrical porcupine 'dos. So much ugly hair in church. It was a sin, quite frankly.)

I opened a bottle of wine as soon as I got home and it's mostly gone. I think I'll be getting drunk tonight. For whatever reason, I couldn't even get a buzz yesterday. And I started drinking at like, 1:30 in the afternoon. So, yay for that anyway.

And my nephew got to open a present tonight. It was the Snuggie I gave him. He loves it. So, there's that. Oh, and I bought new jeans today. I'd thought maybe I'd gained a good bit of weight back, so I grabbed a size up to try. They were way too big. Even one of the pairs I got that is the current size I'm wearing was too big. Thank goodness. I'd say that was a bump to my self-esteem, but it's pretty much continually in the shitter when I'm home.

Thankfully, it feels like everyone might be going to bed early tonight, so I'll get some quasi-alone time. I'd give anything to be KayGee and The Prison Librarian right now. They're doing Christmas themselves in Minneapolis because of the weather. I'd love to be doing that right now. But what can you do? I'm hoping against hope that Minneapolis declares a snow emergency to start at 9:00 tomorrow night, because then I can head to my home sweet home Saturday and not have to worry about getting stuck or anything.

I really do hope y'all are having a better time than I am and you're safe and sound if you're in these parts getting walloped by Snowmageddon '09. Merry Christmas, y'all.

No comments: