14 December 2009

Complaining about corporatation-y type things.

Shockingly, this is NOT about work. And given the "Gabbo is coming!"/Dunder-Mifflin Infinity shit that's going on at the moment, it's not like work isn't ripe for ripping.

But there will always be time for ripping on my job. This is about companies I patronize. First, I wrote on Friday about an item I ordered from Amazon from a non-Amazon vendor. Amazon urged me quite strongly to choose expedited shipping because the company's shipping schedule made it look like maybe my item wouldn't arrive in time for Christmas. Oh noes!

However, Christmas was still two weeks away and quite frankly, I was willing to take my chances. It's for The Boy I Currently Like and I would have been okay giving him a portion of his gift separate from the rest.

So, I ordered this thing Friday night. After business hours, mind you; on the weekend, technically. About an hour later, I had an e-mail saying my item had shipped. When I got home from the gym about a half hour ago, it was waiting at my door.

Hold the fuck up. You wanted me to pay twice as much for expedited shipping when it arrived the next business day? When would it have arrived if I chose expedited shipping? Do they have a teleporting machine? Would it have appeared on my coffee table instantaneously? Maybe a time machine? It would have been sitting here all along? Honestly. You fucking suck.

My other beef is with companies reformulating things that worked just fine before you went and fucked with them, thankyouverymuch. Changing tampon design and forcing me to use the My First Period (TM) size, for example. Reformulating your decongestant so it can be available on the shelves instead of the behind the pharmacy counter. Because now it doesn't work. I'm willing to wait in line at the pharmacy and sign over my first-born child, because I ENJOY BREATHING.

The newest company to draw my ire? Oil of Olay. I've been using their moisturizer for combination/oily skin for years. It is Olay Complete these days.

The package looks different from the last one I had, but the real indication I had of a reformulation was the fact that IT BURNS when it touches my skin now. IT FUCKING BURNS. And it feels like it is exfoliating my skin while burning it. I suppose that part isn't surprising. Also, it reeks. The good part is, I'm not alone, which means it's less likely that I'm crazy.

So, now I need to see if I can get my $7 back from Ulta, which is doubtful, because I threw away the box. I'd totes take a store credit, though. But worse than that, I need to find a new facial moisturizer. This is not an easy task. For as awful as my skin is, it is also fairly sensitive (see above: burning). Many oil-free/oily skin/oil-controlling moisturizers dry my skin, which leaves it flaky and even more oily. Sounds weird, but it's true. When you strip too much moisture from oily skin, your skin compensates by producing even more oil. You're left with a flaky, greasy, disgusting mess.

I will be giving a shitty review, contacting Oil of Olay and their parent (P&G?) to complain and letting them know I've already slammed them on my blog (which has shown a significant uptick in traffic, thanks to that contest ... I approve of y'all whoring yourselves out for free shit). I doubt they care that they've lost a customer, but I'm doing what I can.

In the meantime, does anyone have any moisturizer recs?

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I really recommend Mary Kay. They do the sunscreen separate from the moisturizer, and it's the only thing I've ever tried that actually absorbs into my skin and doesn't sit on top of it and get all slick. It's a little pricey, but I can vouch for one set of day solution/moisturizer lasting 3 months.

Jess said...

You know, I think even my dad and brother use that stuff. Plus, my aunt is a Mary Kay Lady. I'd forgotten all about it.

Sarah said...

I have the same problem skin you do, I think. My saving grace has been Lush (www.lush.com) -- and the Imperialis moisturizer is straight from the "whoops, sorry I f-ed up your skin when programming your DNA, here lemme give you a little something to deal with that" gods.

Here: http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/visage/hydratants/imperialis

Jess said...

Dude, I don't believe for one second your skin is as bad as mine. But maybe it's totally because of your moisturizer.

Also, I love Lush. Love it so much I want to take it out back behind the bleachers after school and get it pregnant.

PS: Got an e-mail from Olay today. They're sending me a letter and a refund. I didn't even send a receipt or ask for a refund. And they're passing my complaint along to the medical or health team or something.

Jess said...

And it has lavender? I can't get this fast enough.

dm said...

I had the same problem with Oil of Olay. I recommend the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Website. I'm looking for a moisturizer that has signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics, which lists personal care products that don't cause health problems & skin irritation. You may want to check to see if MaryKay Cosmetics is listed there or not, before you purchase anything.

Stephanie said...

One more rec: the Boots stuff at Target. It's quite good, and they have plenty of formulas for different skin types.

And your dad uses Mary Kay? I love it!

Jess said...

My dad was also using salon shampoo years before I started.

Gotta look good for the pigs, you know. It's the extra effort that makes the bacon taste so good.

Sarah said...

dude, salon-quality products for the pigs?

no wonder that bacon is heaven-sent.

ps: there will be a lush pilgrimage in the not-too-distant, post-christmas future if you wanna come along. I am too retarded to go to the mall of america by myself (also because I break out in hives at the thought of it), and I'm too cheap to pay for Lush to ship their miracle products to me (most of the time).

Jess said...

Happy pigs make good bacon?

I don't know if I can wait that long, but even if I just get the moisturizer, I'm powerless to resist the lure of Lush. So I'll probably be down.

Did you know that there are Lush counters at Macy's? I know they don't have a huge selection of stuff ... I've not actually stopped there or anything, because I can't be tempted.

And Oil of Olay e-mailed me yesterday to say they're bringing their old formula back. In April. But yay for complaining!