20 December 2009

Almost there.

I have one day of work left in 2009. I have two family Christmas events down, with ... two to go, I guess. If my grandparents don't make it out to the farm for dinner on Christmas Eve, we have to go in and see them. I'm hoping to avoid that.

What else? IUD goes in (tentatively) on Tuesday. The remainder of my shopping will have to wait until Christmas Eve morning. Yeah, I know. I'm figuring on going very early and getting it done while other people are still in bed. I'd rather the misery be packed into one day -- shopping, Mass, family.

Yesterday was Christmas with my dad's side of the family. It can be overwhelming even if it's what you've known your entire life. I think I'm especially anti-family this year, because it was unpleasant for me. I was thrilled when it was time for me to leave to watch football with The Boy I Currently Like. (I think my mom is on to me. She was all, "Do you have a boyfriend? Why can't you spend any time with your family?" I didn't answer.)

Goodness, what a fantastic fucking time I had with him. I didn't want to leave today, but I'll see him again Tuesday, when he takes me to the doctor. I can't even tell you how awesome it felt to watch NFL RedZone with him this afternoon, knowing I didn't have to work when I got home and knowing I only had to work one. more. day. this week. It feels as if a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders, if only temporarily.

The only thing I had to do tonight was laundry. I didn't even have to make dinner or anything to have for leftovers tomorrow. There are plenty of leftovers from the weekend to have for lunch at least tomorrow when I'm actually at work. YAY. It's just football, basketball, shit from the DVR and laying on the couch tonight. Well, I did throw together some scones and I also cooked up bacon. And made a Bloody Mary. Certainly worth the work, but I'll switch to wine after this. Too much work for another.

I'm gonna get through this, dammit. And then I'll have a good week or so to really focus on freaking out about meeting more of The Boy's friends. But not yet.

Oh, my fantasy football season is over. But whatever. I can't win every year.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hang in there. So close. You can do it.

Also, just how does an IUD go in tentatively? :) I have a mental image of a shy little piece of plastic. Heh.

Jess said...

I can do it! I'm gonna make it!

The IUD is tentative, because it's not sure the bouncer is going to let it in. But again, I can do it! I think this will be yet another life experience aided by yoga. A little Pranayama breathing should help me get through it.

Little Ms Blogger said...

Do you think you'll go into shock when the day you call him your boyfriend?

Was it easier to buy for him this year than last?

M said...

I'm feeling very anti-family this year myself. I rather just spend Christmas with my husband and son than have to deal with everyone else. It's worse because my parents come in from out of town and STAY WITH ME. So much harder to escape my mother's annoying questions and my father's indifference to my existence.

We're almost through it though!

Jess said...

It's quite possible, Little Miss Blogger. It just sounds weird at this point, anyway.

Not sure it was easier to get his present(s) this year than last, but I didn't have to struggle as much to get ideas. I've taken to keeping a year-round list of ideas. That's been very helpful.

M, I'm so sorry you can't get away. That's awful. We're supposed to get snow on Thursday and my mom is all "Well, if you want to be home at Christmas ..." Lady, DO NOT tempt me. You give me an opening like that and I will snatch it the fuck up and not come home.

Muffy Willowbrook said...

Good luck on Tuesday. It will go just fine!

Jess said...

The way everything else is going, I don't have a lot of faith that you're right. But I hope you are.

Thanks.