18 November 2009

popchips!: a review.

A few weeks ago, the good people at popchips! sent me a box o' goodies for sampling. And sample I did. Quite honestly, I'm kind of shocked it took me as long to get through them as it did. My restraint was admirable, because popchips! are de.li.cious.

Deliciousness aside, they're also not terrible for you. I no longer have one of the single-serve bags, but if memory serves, a bag has little more than 100 calories per serving. Oh, 120 calories and four grams of fat. That's for the original flavor. They're not at all greasy. However, they don't have that Pringles-like texture that most baked potato chips have. In large part, I imagine, because they're not baked. Honestly, that was a bad decision by baked chip makers. Pringles are gross. Baked chips have improved vastly, but honestly, they have nothing on popchips!.

But back to deliciousness: can you really put it aside? I think not. The thing I like best about popchips! is that they are so freakin' potato-y. Outside of the sour cream and onion and barbeque flavors, you REALLY get a straight-up potato-y goodness that I find delightful. Disclaimer: I am Irish and I love potatoes in pretty much any form. Even in the salt and vinegar flavor (in the running for my favorite, but it was nudged out of the top spot by an underdog), with all it's tangy goodness, still let the flavor of the tater shine through.

My favorite flavor was cheddar. I was a little surprised, because I am a huge fan of salt and vinegar. But the cheddar ... it had a subtle tang to it. The flavor is really difficult to explain. It's not your traditional cheese-flavored salty snack. Honestly, I don't think it's even obviously cheese-flavored. It's just so understated. But so good. Also surprisingly delicious was salt and pepper. Not very salty, with a very nice pepper kick. I would say sour cream and onion and barbeque are exactly what you would expect. The former, I don't really care for; the latter, I do quite like. Despite the fact that I don't generally like sour cream and onion, sometimes you just need that fake sour cream and onion (it's sour cream and onion the way purple is a fruit). So really, they're all good. Some flavors are just MILES ahead of others.

Verdict: yummy and you can eat a lot and not feel terribly guilty. Get yourself some popchips! and if I see you, maybe I'll have a coupon for you.

Up next (at some point): goodies from the lovely Justin of J&D's Bacon Salt.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

Why don't I get samples from food companies? Don't they know I love food to a ridiculous degree, and can't shut up about something when I enjoy it? For instance, bacon. Just as an example. Sigh.

Seriously so jealous. Those sound delicious!

Jess said...

You should check your e-mail.

Reuben said...

Why are you getting free a free box of chips? What about me? I'll give anything a good review if they give it to me for free.

Frank said...

I can't wait for the bacon salt review...

Although, I must say I finally found a bacon-related product that I didn't care for...Baconnaise.

Jess said...

I like Baconnaise. Not a lot of it at one time, or anything. But I do enjoy a smidge here and there.

I need to think of a contest for next month where I can do a popchips! giveaway. Oh yeah, that's right. A popchips! giveaway.

Daddy Geek Boy said...

They were giving away popchips during the route of AIDS Walk LA. I agree...they are good!

As for the J&D thing...I have a guess. Will wait and see.

Jess said...

I seriously need to think of a contest to have next month so one of y'all can get a big ol' box of popchips. Perhaps that should be the contest -- winning contest idea?

Lilly said...

Popchips are amazing! The BBQ kind are the best, hands down. I'm glad you've discovered them, they've made my life .000735% better.

Jess said...

An improvement is an improvement, even if it is small.