16 November 2009

Now with more positivity.

I am so glad to be back to my life. I love my family, but spending an entire weekend with them -- from the moment I left work Friday until I dropped my sister and nephew off at their house -- is just too damn much for me anymore. I mean, it was almost a full 48 hours.

The wake and funeral were ... well, I guess I don't know what you, Dear Readers, might expect. It was close to what I'm used to in a family, Irish-Catholic wake and funeral: stories, tears, laughter, drinking, eating and carousing after all that.

Seeing how the nuns did things was very interesting. I've been to Mass at Assisi Heights a handful of times and I even spent a weekend with The Nun at whatever convent she was at in Winona with my sister. I was in sixth grade, my sister was in third. I often say that's where things went terribly wrong for me. But I'd never seen the community the way I saw it this weekend. How they did everything themselves (save for what the Church doesn't allow women to do), the tradition, the ritual.

Now I'm back to my life and it's annoyances and things. Maybe I was inspired by Stephanie, but I didn't dwell too much on the annoyances as they happened today. Instead, I chose to look on the bright side.

Take, for example, my visit to the doctor to do my nickel patch test to see if I can get Essure or not. Except the chances of me getting Essure are slim to none, given the impending health insurance changes coming at work. I went in to get the patch put on and found out I can't get the thing wet. I thought, "Well, how will I clean up after the gym?" And the nurse, as if reading my thoughts, said "So, you know, you can't go to the gym and get sweaty or anything like that."

So, no working out Monday or Tuesday. No shower Tuesday. My appointment to get the patch removed is Wednesday morning, so I can't shower until after that. But you know what that means? I get to sleep in tomorrow and Wednesday. I'll also work from home on Wednesday, so I can come back from my appointment and shower. Further bonus: it doesn't seem to be terribly itchy at this point or anything, so I if I go with the Mirena IUD, in five years, I shall know that Essure is a valid option for me, whatever happens in the coming weeks.

No gym means I have two full nights at home to clear things off my DVR and do some decadent weeknight baking. Tonight, I'm thinking of trying my hand at scones. Nothing has yet struck my fancy for tomorrow night, but I'm sure something will.

And I get to watch the entire Monday Night Football game tonight to cheer on Ray Rice in the hopes that he has a MONSTER fantasy night. But you know what? If that doesn't happen and I lose yet again, at least I'm having a bad year when I don't have to pay anything. I might still come out ahead even if I don't win a damn thing this year. If I don't win, I won't have to do something nice for The Boy I Currently Like. Since he advised me on many draft choices, I told him that if my team wins it all, I'd do something nice for him (I do blame him a little for my shitty season).

The very best part of all this -- I only have two days in the office next week and then it's Thanks-fucking-giving. I cannot fucking wait, y'all.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I was going to ask if I did in fact see you on a yoga mat at the gym tonight, but that answers that! I'm glad things are getting a little more level for you again. Last week sounded rough.

Jess said...

Oh, God no. I think the smelly hippie non-flusher is doing Monday night classes. DO NOT WANT.

I will still be going to yoga on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Despite the fact that I don't really enjoy her classes, it still does me some good.

But yes, things are looking up. If for no other reason, there is turkey and an obscene amount of food on the horizon.

Emily B. said...

Jess,
I am on Mirena and have considered Essure. What is this whole "nickel test" you are doing? E-mail or FB me if you want more info on Mirena.
xoxo

Jess said...

I have a little patch on my back that is holding a nickel solution on my skin for 48 hours to determine if I have a sensitivity to it.

IT IS ITCHY AND STARTING TO DRIVE ME CRAZY.

Apparently, there is some nickel in the Essure springs. My doctor actually said, "Well, we don't want you waking up in the middle of the night with itchy Fallopian tubes, do we?"

Perhaps it's all psychosomatic, but I'm about 95 percent sure I'm going with Mirena.