05 November 2009

Glitter is illegal.

Glitter is also considered jewelry by the Minnesota State High School League.

My cousin is running in the state cross country meet on Saturday at lovely St. Olaf College in Northfield and I went to the MSHL website to try to figure out what time she was running, since my mom failed to mention that critical bit of information. This is where I stumbled on the Jewelry Rule. How could I not? It was bolded and the link said "Jewelry Rule Emphasis."

I find it a bit odd that insulin pumps and heart monitors fall under "jewelry." As do glasses (extending this rule to my own life, I actually do have a very nice, fairly expensive piece of jewelry -- my Prada glasses). Thankfully, those are all legal jewelry items.

Also considered jewelry -- tattoos. They're legal unless they are objectionable. Then they are objectionable and illegal. Face paint, though? Illegal.

I understand the general intent of the rule. You don't want someone getting an earring ripped out. And you can't have kids wearing outlandish wristbands or scarves while they're running. I guess it kind of makes sense to throw everything under one rule, but calling it a jewelry rule when you're covering everything from insulin pumps and casts to glitter and nose rings ... well, it's not exactly descriptive.

However, it made me giggle, so kudos to you, MSHL. I'll be sure to wear as much glitter as possible on Saturday to make up for the lack of it amongst the runners. Because, you know, I'm certain if I was running in a cross country meet, I would be devastated to find out I couldn't adorn myself with glitter.

4 comments:

Reuben said...

That sort of rules out Edward from ever being a track star. No wonder he's got such an attitude problem.

Jess said...

I hear so much about the sparkle vamps, that I am mildly intrigued to see what it's all about. Because, you know, vampires don't sparkle.

However, I don't want to know badly enough to watch the movie or anything.

Frank said...

Michigan had rules like that too. I almost got disqualified during a race for wearing one of those Livestrong bracelets UNDER a long-sleeve T-shirt. You couldn't even see it.

Jess said...

God forbid that bracelet fly off and take an eye out or a high school student show a bit of expression.