05 October 2009

A stranger in my own town.

My break up with the Vikings has some unforeseen consequences. There is the whole not having a new favorite team yet (note: since I wrote that post three years ago, I've come to loathe the Steelers), which confuses a lot of people and apparently really bothers a friend of The Boy I Currently Like.

Look -- it's not like I enjoy not having a team. However, not much has changed since I wrote the post laying out the potential new favorite teams. Maybe if Arizona didn't have Kurt Warner, I could like them. I could like Jacksonville, if they weren't ... well, in Jacksonville. No one has made a play for my heart and soul; no team has been compelling enough to win my fandom.

There's more than just that, though. I'm starting to feel like an outsider. The Vikings/Packers game is a big deal here at work. We have several people hailing from the Dairy State who are huge football fans, so there's a friendly rivalry. People are wearing team colors (I'm SO glad I grabbed the pink shirt instead of one of the three purple options I was considering this morning) and we're having Famous Dave's for lunch. It's got top-billing on the Strib's home page. If you didn't know any better, you'd believe it was THE BIGGEST GAME EVER.

And here I am, not giving a flying fuck. I feel the way I did when I went to UNC Wilmington, and everyone would talk about nothing but Carolina and Duke the week before they met in basketball. I love, love, love college basketball, but I don't think there are two schools I hate more than Carolina and Duke. So, I didn't give a shit about THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR (save for their second meeting of the year, possibly an ACC tournament match-up and even the outside chance of meeting in the NCAA tournament). I spent my time pondering scenarios that would allow for neither team to win.

Despite the fact that I'm no longer with the Vikings, I still hate the Packers. Now I hate the Vikings almost as much. So, I don't care who wins. In a perfect world, they'd tie and no one would win. I can't root for the destruction of the Dome while they are playing, as many innocents would be hurt and um, where would the Twins play on Tuesday?

One of the worst parts about the whole Vikings break up, though, is that people don't remember. So I'll have to tell the tale once again today, I'm sure. I'm tempted to just pick a team to say I have a favorite now, but that's just not right. Unless you're trying to win a t-shirt. Then it's okay to let someone tell you who your favorite team will be, at least for the rest of this season.

7 comments:

Brian in Mpls said...

I am torn. I hope they both do well since Rogers is my QB tonight and I am starting Harvin and Peterson. With my Denver defense coming in strong yesterday it is going to be a big night.

Screw the teams that is why I love fantasy

Jess said...

Thanks to Drew Brees having another lackluster performance, I need the Vikings to absolutely fucking dominate tonight if The Bob Saget Fan Club is going to pull out a win.

However, I picked the Vikes to lose and the Pack to win in at least one of the two IDYFT pick 'em contests.

So, I guess I'm torn, too.

Frank said...

Just don't go with the Lions...it's my curse by birth. Granted, I've been living in Chicago for the last four years, but I think I would rather have red-hot needles inserted into my eyes before I ever cheer for the Bears. I'll stay with my Loser Lions for the time being...

Bill From Gainesville said...

I sport Peterson and Harvin on my FF roster (plus I also have driver) I am down pretty big so I need those dudes to go off tonight.. although -- Big couple of days for Minnesota for sure

Jess said...

Minneapolis is kind of the center of the sports universe today and tomorrow. Mama like!

At least the Lions broke their 19-game losing streak, Frank. Sure, it was only to start another. But look at it this way -- if Stafford can't play on Sunday, you can watch Daunte Culpepper get his roll on. *shudder*

(Also, I have Kevin Smith on my fantasy team, so I'm kinda, occasionally pulling for your Lions.)

Anonymous said...

You like him, you like him...

Jess said...

I am unsure to whom it is you are referring.