14 October 2009

My goodness, how time flies.

The Boy I Currently Like and I met two years ago today. TWO YEARS? It doesn't seem like it's been two years. As it turns out, I kinda felt the same way when it was just one year. I can barely remember the job I was working at when we met. Feels like I've been at this one for longer than I've known him. Probably because it's not awesome.

It's crazy to think back to how completely freaked out I was about meeting him. Asking him in the first place was absolute fucking torture. Of course, it didn't take a whole lot of distance to realize how silly I was to be so worried about whether he'd say yes or not.

Asking him to hang out was one of the best decisions I've made in recent years; e-mailing him in response to a comment on this very blog was also a very, very good decision. I have so much fun with him. It's amazing how much fun it can be to just hang out and watch sports, drink and play video games.

For the most part, I've gotten over what other people think. Everyone has an opinion and many of those opinions said YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. And yet, here we are. It works for us, so what the fuck is it to you?

I think one of the most telling things about how ... I hate to say "special," because ... well, I just don't like the way that sounds. "Awesome" is much better. So, one of the most telling things about his awesomeness is that I hate being mad at him. We don't have big fights, but occasionally something will be misread or a tone heard that wasn't meant to be there. Normally, I love making people feel bad for hurting my feelings. I'm so fucking spiteful sometimes, it's not even funny. But with him? I just want him to apologize so I can forgive him and we can move on. If I do or say something that I think might be hurtful, I'm apologizing post haste. Sometimes my old habits surface, you know. Can't change overnight.

So, yeah. Two years. I'm so glad I got over my fear and became impatient and asked him to hang out. I'm fairly crazy about him and I'm so glad I know him.

2 comments:

Leah Rubin said...

Congratulations! Two years is a nice milestone to celebrate. It sounds like you're building something very nice together! Yay!

Jess said...

See, you make it sound so ... relationship-y and adult. Wait, not adult ... that's fun. Grown-up is probably a better word. Grown-up just doesn't suit me.

But thank you.