07 September 2009

Anything you can do, I can do (mildly) better. After a lot of practice. And probably only this one time.

I reached a very important milestone this weekend. After about three months, I finally ended a night of playing Tekken beating the crap out of The Boy I Currently Like.

Okay, I might be exaggerating just a bit. I think I was up by three after 50-some odd fights. But he has had this game for what I imagine is some time and he's been playing it for much longer than I have. So, this is really an accomplishment, y'all. And to think, I owe it all to him yelling at me one night for talking too much while we were playing.

This was such a momentous occasion that The Boy noted our respective records and the date on a piece of paper. Apparently, we will be keeping track henceforth. Granted, that paper will either sit on his coffee table for all eternity or be lost within a few days to the mess of his living room. However, I've noted it for posterity on the Interwebs, so there's that.

It's good that he's not the kind of guy who freaks out about getting beat by a girl. Then again, this is pretty much the only thing at which I've beaten him. There was Wii bowling, I guess. And we tied 0-0 in Wii baseball. That's pretty much it. I've wondered if maybe he was taking it easy on me, but I don't think he's that kind of guy, either. He seems genuinely annoyed when I get in a good sequence, or come back from the brink to beat him. I have other reasons to believe this, but I really can't say anything, as it could get back to him.

Tekken 6 comes out at the end of October and I believe he has pre-ordered it. I'm very stoked about this.

He also gave me something that will almost certainly end up being a traveling gift. A few weeks ago, when the new Madden was about to come out, he found out about a special offer through SI, which is now over. For less than the actual cost of the game, he got roughly six months worth of Sports Illustrated, Madden 2010, and a DVD about Madden -- The Road to Canton: John Madden's Ride Through Football History. I bet you can't guess who got that DVD as "an early Christmas present ... or, a half-birthday present."

I am a lucky, lucky girl, y'all. And I am plotting the occasion I will use to give him the DVD back. Still unopened, of course. Unless I am drunk, bored and sadly, pathetically curious some weekend.

That was pretty much my excitement for the weekend. I managed to spend all of about an hour at KayGee and The Prison Librarian's new condo this afternoon for drinks for KayGee's birthday. Turns out, I am seriously allergic to The Prison Librarian's cat. I was feeling it after about 15 minutes. They're trying so hard to do what they can to minimize my symptoms, as we want to do Thanksgiving at their new pad this year. However, if I have to leave after an hour, that ain't gonna work. Boo. Maybe it'll get better. I'm not willing to give up yet. They have an ISLAND in their kitchen. That is one of my favorite things in the world.

Oh, and just to state it officially: Happy Birthday, KayGee!

2 comments:

Little Ms Blogger said...

LOL. I loved this post because it is true about some men hating to be beaten. I hate to say it, but it makes me enjoy the victory more.

A kitchen with an island in it????? Oh man, I'd kill for a normal size fridge and dishwasher or pantry and storage space.

It gets old taking pots and pans out of the oven.

Jess said...

Yeah, it's still fun to beat him or be right about something, because that never gets old. However, it's not as big of a deal, what with him being all modern and enlightened and whatnot.

I also would kill for those things. I can't even fit a gallon of milk in my fridge, and I have a wee stove. I'm completely jealous of their kitchen.