24 July 2009

There is nothing wrong with a little self-love.

I don't mean that kind of self-love. Though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, either. It can really take the edge off. Or help you get to sleep.

What I'm talking about is more like pampering yourself. I didn't do some sort of funky face masque or give myself a pedicure. That seemed like entirely too much work. Besides, I just did my toenails a couple of night ago.

No, the self-love I'm getting tonight is all about booze and food. The first order of business when I got home from work tonight was drinking a beer on the deck. Okay, so technically that was the second order of business. Peeing cannot wait, y'all.

Dear sweet Jebus. I think that was the most delicious beer I have ever had the opportunity of drinking. The weather was beautiful, and I just sat and watched the cars and people go by in front of me. It felt so good.

After taking some time to lay on the couch, I got to making myself dinner. And oh, what a dinner it is. Last night, I pulled a T-bone out of the freezer. Sometimes a girl just gets a hankerin' for steak, you know? Especially this girl. Especially when she can't remember the last time she ate meat. Well there was allegedly chicken in the frozen entree I ate for lunch today. I cannot remember the last time I had a frozen entree. However, it was Kashi and it was free.

Once the drink on the deck was complete, I threw the steak in a plastic bag with a couple of smashed cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. That is my go-to marinade. It is pretty much no fail.

But what to have with my steak? There was red kale in the CSA box today. Last week there were collard greens. Perhaps some greens might be good? I watched an episode of Good Eats called "True Grits." So, of course, I decided to round out my meal with some cheesy polenta.

This was the first time I've ever eaten greens, much less cooked them. And can I tell you? YUM. Then again, what isn't good when you start with bacon? As for the polenta, I think this was my second attempt. The first time I made polenta, I specifically made it to bake it. Didn't turn out so great. Tonight, though? Delicious!

Probably I should get to the many, many dishes I have to do before I get a) too drunk or b) the Twins game gets too interesting. But I think I did pretty well for myself tonight. And I needed it. The shitty, shitty week I had is mostly a memory and there is only goodness in front of me.

3 comments:

Reuben said...

mmm i had a sandwich & jello.

Little Ms Blogger said...

I recently made Curly Mustard Greens with Hot Sausage, Jacques Pepin's recipe, and it was great. Really changed my mind about 'greens' and would be open to kale and such.

Jess said...

I haven't had Jell-o in ages. The Boy I Currently Like makes it fairly often and is always offering it to me, but I always say, "No thanks." When he has lime, I'll be saying "Yes, please!"

Curly Mustard Greens with Hot Sausage sounds so good. I'm going to be cooking up some brats to have with a red cabbage and apple salad. De. Li. Cious.