27 July 2009

Going out on a school night? WHAT?

At some point in the not-too-distant past, I've become an old fuddy-duddy, it would seem. I might not have really realized it, had Macho Man not broken up with his girlfriend recently.

When he told me they broke up, I knew what was coming -- the weeknight texts at like, 9:00 saying, "Party?" Or the occasional earlier asking, "Happy hour?" I've turned down two of these in less than a week. What happened to me?

A couple of years ago, when I was working at a job where I fucked around on the Interwebs for eight hours, there was no problem with going out on weeknights. I did it all the damn time. Now, though, I work a job that requires me to ... well, work. This precludes much going out on school nights. Boo. There's also my love of routine that seems to have really become a part of my life in the last couple of years, too.

I mean, how could I go out tonight when I had to go to the gym, come home to cook, wash dishes, watch the Twins, shower and blog? Seriously, though, when I got the "Party?" text, I had just finished whipping up a stir fry with a good number of my CSA haul from the past week, I hadn't showered and there were dishes to do.

Ach. This is my life, isn't it? The good news is, I'm fairly content with it.

5 comments:

Little Ms Blogger said...

Ahhh....wait until a new appliance excites you. Hmmm...that didn't come out right.

When I say appliance, I mean a new front loading washing machine.

When that puts a smile on your face, you'll begin to wonder.

Hey, how is the yoga going? Have you been going to the new place?

a neske said...

Yes, yes. I *enjoy* a Saturday night at home whereas before I was terrified to stay home on a weekend night.

This past weekend... I did laundry. Thrilling. Please don't tell anyone.

Jess said...

If you were to replace "front-loading washing machine" with "Kitchen Aid stand mixer," I'd not only have a smile on my face, I'd probably pee a little from the excitement.

Yoga's fine. I've not gone to check out the new place yet. Just switched to the Tuesday and Saturday classes for the time being. Except I'm skipping tonight to go see HPVI. I guess they have a sub for Mondays for the time being, but it's the smelly hippy lady I don't like. Blergh.

Laundry is probably my favorite chore around the house. I have no problem spending a weekend night doing laundry. I won't judge you!

Little Ms Blogger said...

I have the kitchen aid stand with TWO mixing bowls which makes life so much easier.

I was a happy camper when I got that.

Jess said...

I've decided that I don't give a shit about my lack of space. I'm asking my parents for one for my Christmas and birthday presents. I will make it work, dammit.