21 July 2009

City people driving on gravel.

Some of the streets in my neighborhood have recently been seal coated. I'm not entirely sure what that entails and I can't be bothered to find out. I do know that the ultimate layer on this seal coating is gravel.

I've been cracking up watching people take off from stop signs, spinning their wheels and kicking up gravel. I even saw someone fishtail a bit coming around a corner. Clearly, these people have not driven much on gravel roads (they could also just be idiot, jerkoff drivers who drive like assholes no matter the surface, I suppose).

Don't get me wrong -- I've fishtailed a time or two after hitting a spot with a lot of gravel. We should be glad the streets aren't washboarded. But I learned how to drive on gravel roads, and I still drive them often. My parents live on a gravel road.

It seems odd to me that people can go so many years without driving on a gravel road, but it happens. And I like to see them struggle on the streets of Minneapolis. 'Cause I'm evil.

5 comments:

Emily said...

The gravel isn't doing much to help my bike rides to Art's place either. I'm out of shape as it is; I don't need additional traction holding me back.

Conner said...

Agreed, I find it quite funny watching people panic on a small layer of gravel. Actually, I think we should start putting in gravel roads around town, the entertainment factor for us farm kids would be incredible.

Jess said...

I like that you said "roads around town." Ha!

And Emily, I loathed riding bike on gravel roads. God, it was such a treat to go into town with my bike and ride on pavement. Oh, the luxury!

Diana said...

That makes me giggle. When I lived in Des Moines, one of the roads I took to work was a dirt road. A for real, not temporary, dirt road within city limits. And no one ever seemed to have an issue with it...

Jess said...

Well, it was Iowa.

Just kidding, Iowans! Some of my best friends are from Iowa. Really!