03 June 2009

That smell cannot be normal.

Sometimes I'm so dumb, I get a little worried about myself. I've been having a few of those moments this week. On Sunday, I bought a big ol' bundle of asparagus at Rainbow. Seriously, it was enormous; over two pounds worth.

Naturally, I've been eating asparagus every day this week. And I will continue to do so. Probably, I'll buy another bundle on Saturday, before the sale is over. Since it's in season, I've been eating a lot of asparagus in recent weeks. The crop I brought from the farm was especially delightful.

Because I've been eating it so much, you would think that by now, I'd be ready for the awful, awful smell of my pee after I eat it. You'd think that, wouldn't you? Well, you'd be wrong. That first or second pee after lunch always puts me in a momentary panic. OH MY GOD. What is that smell? It smells like dying. Of course, a minute or two later, I recall the asparagus I just finished eating for lunch.

At least this has been happening during the day when I'm slightly more with it. When I have asparagus at night, I'm always on the verge of a breakdown in that middle-of-the-night pee. I'm usually back in bed by the time I remember I'm not suffering from some horrible disease.

I'd probably hold off on buying more asparagus if I was going to get some in my very first CSA box next week. But we got an e-mail today from Driftless Organics about our first box. We're to get:

Arugula
Radishes
Spinach
Potatoes
Green Garlic
Kohlrabi
Rosemary
Green Leaf Lettuce

You have no idea how excited I am about this. My excitement is tempered by knowing I will miss out on our second box, as I will be in Portland. However, the coworker with whom I am splitting a share will be gone for a July box, so I'll get all of that one. SCORE. I should probably eat up the potatoes I have sitting around before I get new CSA potatoes.

And the a few of the herbs I planted have sprouted. I'll be able to transplant them to larger pots and put them out on the deck soon. Then the squirrels will inevitably destroy them. But at least I'm trying. Maybe the squirrels will eat the hot peppers and learn their lesson. Bastards. I hate squirrels so fucking much.

4 comments:

jana said...

dude, i totally do the exact same "oh god i'm dying, oh wait, i ate aspargus" thing. nice to know i'm not alone. mmmmasparagus.

Jess said...

It's nice to know I'm not alone, either.

Also, I totally just did it again.

Little Ms Blogger said...

I always forget that asparagus changes the color of my pee and that always throws me for a loop.

I loved when I was part of a food co-op, but that was years ago and I've lost touch with the people I'd split the take with.

Now, I'm growing my first veggie/herb garden. I'm stoked because my hubby scored some brussel sprout plants and most of my herbs/plants I started from seed have taken off.

Jess said...

I'm jealous of your garden. However, I don't know that I would have the time or patience for a garden, even if I had the space for one.